280zx brake/struts

So the time has come for new pads and I have no idea which year my struts are from. The PO did the swap, is there a way to tell with out removing the pads and looking at them. I don't have the time in the near future.

Is there a part number on the caliper?

A certain shape that will tell me the rough years?

Any side by side photos of the different years?

From what I gather ther was a '79-81 and a '82-83 type of struts/brakes. Is this right?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Look them up on rockauto.com. They have pictures of almost all of the parts, might help. It is also useful for cross-referencing part numbers.

Just a guess here, but I *think* the ZX model wasn't until '81-'82 or so. The '79's are Z's and *probably* not what you have.

Just a guess here, but I *think* the ZX model wasn't until '81-'82 or so. The '79's are Z's and *probably* not what you have.

The 280z was 1975-1978, the 280zx was 79-83. There's no overlap for all intents & purposes, and the 280z struts/brakes are not a bolt-on for the 510 so nobody uses them.
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ok so a bit ago I bought both types of 280zx pads, early model and late model. Turns out I have the early model.

the top two are the early (78-80 I think) and bottom two are late (81-83) the only difference I can tell is the hump and the metal tab on the late model. Don't see why they wouldn't interchange.

46528e6c.jpg

ee98ea96.jpg