let me see the carfax...

well more bad luck on another front other than the datto.

long story short, my wife and i kinda got bent over with this passat we bought.

question is, does anyone on here possibly have a carfax that they would care to let me use to find out the "31 important reports" that this POS has.

just wonderin... pm me if you can help me out

thanks in advance!

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

carfax is good at scaring people into buying a report.... keep in mind and transfer if title (including manufacturer to first owner) goes in a carfax along with dealer services... easily a car could visit a dealer 20 times.. ...... also only repairs that are paid by an insurance company are reported.... its a serious joke

carfax is good at scaring people into buying a report.... keep in mind and transfer if title (including manufacturer to first owner) goes in a carfax along with dealer services... easily a car could visit a dealer 20 times.. ...... also only repairs that are paid by an insurance company are reported.... its a serious joke

i saw recall and warrenty work on one report,

but one car fax did show my old 95 toyota truck had been issued salvage titles twice, so it can be worth it.

if your that worried, pay for the minimum a get a report

The carfax reports:

- Every title transfer

- Every dealer repair, including maintenance, warranty and recall repairs. This includes dealer oil changes.

- Every recall notice for the model, whether or not it was performed or even applicable to the particular car

- Every State-mandated emissions test, whether it passed or failed

- Oh, and any time the insurance company paid out, including rock dings in the windshield.

And so much more.

what it won't tell you is if there were any repairs made "out of pocket". If the Insurance company didn't pay out and in particular if the State never received notice to total it out, that won't be in there.

It's best just to find someone who can run it for you. If you know anyone at a dealer, they generally have paid up, but someone likely bought the 3-month unlimited package.

Course, you should have done this before you bought it. I've never met a used car dealer who had much scruples; I was looking at a '89 240SX many years ago and I pulled up the rear carpet... there were creases in the trunk floor metal that hadn't even been painted back over. I said nothing about it, until the sales guy tried haggling price at which point I asked him when he was going to mention the fact that it was rebuilt before he fessed up that it had a freaking salvage title, which by law they have to disclose up front.

Curbstoners are worse- they aren't operating legally anyway so they never disclose jack.

If it never gets reported to insurance, it does not end up on carfax, I know a a lot of higher end cars in this area that were wrecked and fixed and resold that all have "Clean" titles. It is not always easy to find out all the info on the car from a computer based report. Go spend a hour at your trusted mechanic with any car you are seriously looking at buying. Let your mechanic tell you what they see in terms of condition of the vehicle. That is one of the best ways to see the condition and inspect for prior accident damage, or other problems.

Just my thought on buying a used car.

thanks

Bryce

• Like 1

Most states will do a "title search" on a car or truck. If the title search ends with an Alabama title, run away. This is a favorite dodge used by rebuilders of junked and "salvage" vehicles. Alabama will issue a clean title on just about any piece of crap presented to them. Motor Trend, years ago, published a report of a Porsche 917 built up from a left over factory chassis by some imaginative mechanics in Europe. No European country would licence such a race car for driving on the public roads, no matter if it was upholstered. So it was registered and plated in Alabama and drove around Europe with its "Heart of Dixie" license plate.

while it may say you have a TON of items in there. I found out that Lithia dealerships have been reporting services you've had done to carfax so you can see if some one was doing maintenance on the vehicle. So it may not be bad stuff at all. :mellow: