Things to do before having a new headliner installed.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Paint the car? Or at least paint the window openings the color that you want to paint the car.

Yeah, I think im gonna have someone pain the interior of the car the color I want it. I'm kind of doing it ass backwards. I'm moving back to the bay area in a few months. I'm getting my seats reupholstered and I've gotta get the rear 1/4 panel replaced and the rust spot fixed, so my rear glass is coming out. I would have the front replaced too, but I dunno about finding a new windshield as mine is cracked.

you def want to put some sort of sound deadning in. make sure your headliner bars are nice and smooth. Make sure you have new seals for the windows or really good old seals.

I'm finally gonna have that 1/4 panel I bought off of you put on. :o

I have a new rear glass seal, but no front glass seal.

If your going to have it out put a new one in

I dont have a non cracked windshield to put in if I take it out.

I do have the rear glass seal, since there's an area that needs to be fixed as well. I've owned the car for 5 years and I have yet to wash her :(

Not sure what car or truck you have. The really older 410 and 411, and probably 320, 520 and 521 trucks have a unfortunate engineering design defect in the rain drip rail. The drip rail is part of the body. The roof is spot welded inside the drip rail exposing the entire seam to leakage. The spot welds are "protected" with body panel goop of the "non drying non hardening" variety. They lie! After 40 years it hardens, dries and develops tiny cracks down to the spot weld which then preceed to rust. Water can eventually leak into the body cavity also. Check your drip rail if you have one. Clean out and re-seal the gutter. Also use the body panel sealant on the roof to body seam inside the top of the car / truck as insurance. Let it dry, repaint as necessary and only then start installing the headliner. I'm not being a pessimist, I'm a realist [although some days the difference is very small and getting smaller]. Good luck with the rebuild!

other than the dome light, why would you need power overhead?

I'm finally gonna have that 1/4 panel I bought off of you put on. :o

i dragged that down here w/my hatch! :lol:

coulda sold it twice ;)

DLsocal has windshields for $150 picked up (last years price) and seals(be sure they are the newer versions!)

I dont have a non cracked windshield to put in if I take it out.

I do have the rear glass seal, since there's an area that needs to be fixed as well. I've owned the car for 5 years and I have yet to wash her :(

As far as I know, you must remove the front and rear windows to do the headliner. Basically if you want to do one thing you must do the other.

Oh yeah, and WASH YOUR CAR! A clean car is a happy car.