Turn signal indicator stays lit

pl521sss

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If the bulb socket is corroded, it can short the 2 contacts together. So, with the running lights on (which share the same bulbs with the turn sigs), it can feed all the turn signals, including the indicator (the indicators are on the same side of the switch as the signals).

However, that would only light one side, not both indicators- unless you had 2 shorted sockets (one on each side). I missed the part about the signals working... they work perfectly normal, whether the running lights are on or off? And is this the 510 or 521? A short in a connector would work both ways, the signals would light up the running lights and vice versa.

So, this brings up another possibility. The ground to the instrument cluster could be open. That would cause the dash lights to have no "natural" path to ground, so the electricity would find the next best route. Since the ground to the indicators is probably the same ground (so as such would also be "open"), it's backfeeding the indicators, and grounding through the turn signals themselves. But... a good indication of this would be the indicators wouldn't be at full intensity, AND the turn signals themselves would glow dimly (hard to tell, since the running lights would be on and outshine the dim signals).

Me, I'd route a new ground to the cluster. I'd examine the cluster for burnt circuit traces (on the back), and check the existing grounds (especially the cluster-to-dash or body ground).

That's easy. The running light or the turn signal light filament has blown and the loose end has jumped over and they are now 'welded' together. Trust me.

Hey, you got to pull the bulbs to check them anyway, so look for one with the filament crossed over.

• 1 year later...

old post and revisiting again.

I removed all side markers and turn signal made sure it's the correct bulb.

Sure enough front marker was rusted out and couldn't get the bulb removed. It was still working, never the less, removed with a new side marker housing. Replaced with all new bulbs from Sylvania (made in China).

It sucks, blew 2 bulbs right away. Original Toshiba bulb worked better and still works. Imagine that. :eek:

Replaced cluster gauge and checked for burnt circuit and reseated all bulbs.

How many ground wires are there that are bolted to chassis behind the dash?

Problem still persist.

Turn signal indicator stays lit when runningheadlight is turn on.

Is this more of a ground issue or....?

sidemarker.jpg

That's easy. The running light or the turn signal light filament has blown and the loose end has jumped over and they are now 'welded' together. Trust me.

Hey, you got to pull the bulbs to check them anyway, so look for one with the filament crossed over.

If the bulb socket is corroded, it can short the 2 contacts together. So, with the running lights on (which share the same bulbs with the turn sigs), it can feed all the turn signals, including the indicator (the indicators are on the same side of the switch as the signals).

However, that would only light one side, not both indicators- unless you had 2 shorted sockets (one on each side). I missed the part about the signals working... they work perfectly normal, whether the running lights are on or off? And is this the 510 or 521? A short in a connector would work both ways, the signals would light up the running lights and vice versa.

So, this brings up another possibility. The ground to the instrument cluster could be open. That would cause the dash lights to have no "natural" path to ground, so the electricity would find the next best route. Since the ground to the indicators is probably the same ground (so as such would also be "open"), it's backfeeding the indicators, and grounding through the turn signals themselves. But... a good indication of this would be the indicators wouldn't be at full intensity, AND the turn signals themselves would glow dimly (hard to tell, since the running lights would be on and outshine the dim signals).

Me, I'd route a new ground to the cluster. I'd examine the cluster for burnt circuit traces (on the back), and check the existing grounds (especially the cluster-to-dash or body ground).

Edited by pl521sss
If that's the current condition of your fixture, all bets are off until you clean that puppy up! :eek: That just screams short-to-ground to me.

old post and revisiting again.

I removed all side markers and turn signal made sure it's the correct bulb.

Sure enough front marker was rusted out and couldn't get the bulb removed.

It was still working, never the less, removed with a new side marker housing.

Replaced with all new bulbs from Sylvania (made in China).

It sucks, blew 2 bulbs right away. Original Toshiba bulb worked better and still works. Imagine that. :eek:

Replaced cluster gauge and checked for burnt circuit and reseated all bulbs.

How many ground wires are there that are bolted to chassis behind the dash?

Problem still persist.

Turn signal indicator stays lit when runningheadlight is turn on.

Is this more of a ground issue or....?

try bangin on the blinker can also!!!!!!!

I took apart all marker light housing.

They are pretty much like new condition, no rust with new bulbs.

All marker lights up just fine

Turn signal works

When running lights are on, turn signal indicator (left and right) both light up without the turn signal being engaged.

Just one of 3 electrical issues dealing with.