Pop-up Camp trailer

We've had this camper about 4 years now, and it's time for some updating. I'm looking for some recommendations on canvas shops or tent makers. There is a reputable place here in Eugene, that I will probably end up taking it to, but it's going to be spendy.

The trailer itself is all hand built. The original owner was an aeronautics engineer and didn't like what was on the market in 1976, so he built his own. The oddest thing about it, is that the door is on the driver's side of the trailer. It looks very much like a British pop camper that is produced today, even down to the choice of fabric. It's 8ft long when closed, plus the tongue. I think the title says it's 12ft. When opened up, it sleeps 6. That's all it does. No amenities at all, but it's super light. When I bought it, I pulled it home about 50 miles with a Luv pickup.

I've got a little bit of refurb to do on the wooden cover panels before we can use it this year. The canvas is approximately 20 years old! It's 20oz SunForger with sewn in screens and plastic zippers. The only metal in the tent is about 14 snaps. Basically, it's a boy scout tent with the bottom cut out and designed to attach to the opened trailer.

If someone has the hookup on canvas repair please PM me. As much as I enjoy Datsun's, I'd much rather spend time with my kids out in this thing. Check it out...

Todd_070622_camperhome.jpg

Todd_070625_alifranklinunveil.jpg

Todd_070625_franklinassemble.jpg

Kids_070625_raijahfranklinshell.jpg

IMG_6176.jpg

IMG_6178.jpg

IMG_6191.jpg

FranklinLayout.jpg

One of the other reasons I'm posting this is to sort of give you guys ideas for maybe building your own. I'm sure the 510 could pull this if it had a hitch. It's really light. If I were to build a new one, I'd use Atwood jacks on the corners and an off the shelf utility trailer axle. If you found a tent you liked, I'd be glad to post photos of how the underside attaches to the trailer. I think with some of the skills I've seen on this site that someone out there could build one of these in a matter of days.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The rain fly on top adds to the weight, but has protected the canvas very well over the years. Unless it's a serious downpour, it won't get wet inside unless something is pressing against the canvas. It sort of creates a wicking effect.

I have a $50 cabana that we set up, the firewood, cushions and coolers all fit inside when it's folded up.

Some 'action' shots...

franklin_campsite_080602_cottagegro.jpg

Franklin_070704_1sttimeout2.jpg

This is the shit when it comes to canvas repair. Works really well and you can find it at most canvas places. You will also need some extra canvas to put on either side of the repair. Once dried you will rip the canvas before you get the glue off and its water proof.

tearmender.jpg

Here is my 85' Jayco. It is no longer wind up its all electric winch. Also has 110v hook up for refer, propane stove, A/C, 12v to 120v converter and 120v to 12v.

Trailer2.jpg

Trailer.jpg

family-camper.jpg

• 5 months later...

Kids are getting bigger, the dog is 100 lbs, and I'm getting pretty old to be messing with this thing. Any interest out there if I put it up for sale? It's a pretty special rig, I don't want to CL it to some idiot who's going to rip the body off and put his kids' quads on the frame...

Shoot me some offers? We're looking at something a little bigger and a bit more traditional trailer wise. Hit me up folks, clear title but it will need tags. You could pull this with a 620 easily, I think you could probably pull it with dime or a 320 if you wanted. It's supa' light. I'd guess it tops out at 750# maybe more, maybe less. 1 7/8" ball, flat four connector and you're on the road.

Bonvo, now's your chance. :) PNW's, this is perfect for Canby and the coast, and Bend, and ???

^ Micro has the right idea. It actually maintains it's temperature inside better than you might think. The canvas is pretty thick and if you open the windows so the breeze goes through, it's more comfortable inside than a hardside trailer. You can open the end windows 1/2 way and with the rain fly on, leave them open during a full on rain storm and not get any water inside. A lot of thought went into this thing when they built it...

• 1 month later...

Yeah and the best part is I just pretty much hit a loophole on taxes with it. Trailers don't get registered in OK, and since the camper goes in the bed of a truck its the same. lol

I'll have to get pictures of it up it looks like a circus tent lol.

that is to cool you have to find pics of it :D