Manual Transmission Fluid

310GX

The 510 goon uses the same H-190 diff as the truck. GL 5 is indicated for them. Transmissions transmit power in the same axis of rotation. Differentials transmit through 90 degrees and there is more 'rubbing' of the contact area on the teeth. Sulfur additives prevent scuffing but harm brass synchros in trannys.

I'd like to see the manual quote but only if it's a factory shop manual (FSM) from Nissan. All others are suspect.

OK, here's the pics of the manual..

399a8342.jpg<br>

bb920c79.jpg<br>

cf9f2cc3.jpg<br>

c369171c.jpg<br>

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks to Mike Klotz and something I remember he posted about the early diffs. Sure enough there are some copper or bronze parts in the 510 wagon. Looks like a thrust washer on the side gears. GL5 contains about 59% more sulphur additives that while protecting the steel gear teeth will corrode the copper or 'yellow metal' in transmissions and now... the 510 goon H-190.

LateH190510gooninternals.jpg

Here is an even earlier 320 H-190 diff...

EarlyH190320internals.jpg

Thanks 69dime this I did not know about until you made me re-think it. GL-4 it is for the stock goon diff.

Thanks to Mike Klotz and something I remember he posted about the early diffs. Sure enough there are some copper or bronze parts in the 510 wagon. Looks like a thrust washer on the side gears. GL5 contains about 59% more sulphur additives that while protecting the steel gear teeth will corrode the copper or 'yellow metal' in transmissions and now... the 510 goon H-190.

Thanks 69dime this I did not know about until you made me re-think it. GL-4 it is for the stock goon diff.

No prob., I came across it when checking my manual and thought I should mention it in case anyone else with a goon was reading the post. Thanks for verifying it, now I feel better before I service my diff!

So is it an early diff only thing? What about the trucks?