Door Panels

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They're rectangular. How much of a template is needed for a rectangle? What I would do would be take a piece of butcher paper, cut to size of the area needed to be covered, and trace out the clip holes (if using clips) and the window regulator and door handle holes. Lay that out on a piece of particle board (I used pegboard, can't see the holes once it's covered) and saw away.

i made my own kick panels and it was super easy. thinking of making some more just for fun or rather for the cause.

there are 2 styles of clips for the 521 door panels earlier with the cups and later version like the 620. are the hole designations on the doors in the same spot? i would like to try to make my own but i dont like the paper idea from scratch it would be easiest and more accurate to dissemble a old panel to do this as yoursurfer wants.

i have a spare but i dont remember if i reglued the edges back down as they are usually falling off. i'll take a look. i would use that to use a master template from the good stuff and then some paper ones to be shipped to other ratsun'ers. and then put my donor back together and keep it cause it's still a good panel and i don't want to destroy it for the cause.

there are lots of good panels out there with ripped vinyl, but i don't think people are very interested. i've said it before and i'll say it again, people dont really care about the small stuff.:mad: someone should be pumping out door panels and kick panels for us. again i'll look into it.

Well, easier for folks who have access to old panels. But where you don't have access, you make do.

I made new kick panels out of pegboard too, but my originals were missing 2-4 inches of the bottom (rotted off) so I had to guess where they were supposed to be, plus undersize them in all dimensions so the fabric I covered everything with would fit.

Well, I started out with this...

panels01.JPG

panels02.JPG

A bit too LSD-trip looking for me.

panels07.JPG

panels09.JPG

panels12.JPG

panels13.JPG

More than one layer of fabric...

panels14.JPG

panels15.JPG

Original underneath.

panels16.JPG

panels17.JPG

Some trimming required

panels18.JPG

panels19.JPG

panels20.JPG

panels21.JPG

It's couch fabric, I got it at Hancock Fabrics out of the remnant bin for something like $8. Matches the color of the seats.

Did the kick panels in the same stuff.

i can see it now. "any grey pupon"? no but i got a 10mm, 12mm and hammer hanging right here.:lol: nice job though. my door panels are home made from a previous owner. i cant believe you had an original skin under those 2 layers:blink:

was that the original color of the dash pan or did they all come in black? i assume all interior cab colors always matched matched the outside from the factory?

i also assume that the cups and clips ae in the same spots as the later plastic clips? i just love those interior pull handles. cant believe i had mine upside down for so long.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.