L16 front head bolts

pharouh

Well, I've got another little problem. I just put my cylinder head and front cover back on. Now the 2 little bolts that go from the front of the head to the front cover won't go back on.I've loosened the front cover and whacked it with a block of wood and a hammer,but it won't go back any farther. Can I loosen the head bolts and see if that helps? Would I have to put a new head gasket on (again)? It appears that the head need to go forward just a little.

thanks!

My build thread;

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/14906-drum-roll-please/

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well then, that begs the question... were the dowels in the block to align the head over the cylinders?

If you look between the 3 and 4 cylinders then up yo can see a dowel in one of the bolt holes ...looks like a short piece of pipe in there. The front on is missing but is forward beside the chain hole.

IMG_0380.jpg

Best to use dry gaskets with a dab of that RTV shit in all four corners. If you used that 'shit' all over then let sit all night it would harden/gel and add to the gasket thickness. If wet it would squish out the sides when tightened.

OK I found the problem. The head gasket got pinched where the head and cover meet. surprised I didn't see that. So now do I have to replace the head gasket or can I get by with using the piece of head gasket that's left and a little sealer at the top of the cover?

So now do I have to replace the head gasket or can I get by with using the piece of head gasket that's left and a little sealer at the top of the cover?

decisions, decsions...

if you do it correct now (replace) you wont be doing it again in a few months.

it is not a pressure area, so you may be OK 'fixing' the pinched area.

The front of the head gasket only seals around the timing chain hole. There is no water, oil or compression to seal in just some oil spray and fumes. Run it.

True.

I'm getting another front cover gasket set tomorrow from

Carquest, I'll see what I can do.