Lowered 411???

smelt240

OK,Im toying with the idea of lowering my 1967 RL411SSS....anybody here have one thats lowered,or any thoughts,concerns..etc??? Ive got rear air shocks on there now,rear should be easy enough to drop,not sure on the front end yet,but mainly-I just dont know if I should get away from the "rally" loom of the car... I have a couple before pics of it-Ill post them next.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sweet this was warfrat's (from Maine) 411 right? I was really tempted by it! I think I know of one other in New England. Great score, look forward to seeing where you take it!

One thing to watch out for when lowering the front of a RL411 is clearance between the left front shock absorber and the "famous" through the wall exhaust pipe extension. There is little clearance in stock configuration. You may have to cut the top threads off the shock upper stud to insure that you won't bump the exhaust and put a hole in it. This pipe from the manifold 2 into 1 adapter to the premuffler [resonator] has long been unobtainable and you are at the mercy of a good muffler shop fabricator. Good luck! You have a good starting point.

Yes,this was Warfrat's car. I went down,checked out his shop,shot the sh*t for a while,looked it over(and under,he had an awesome jack),then went for the best Datsun ride ever! Then I dragged it home on a landscape trailer...anyway, me and a buddy were looking at my blue 510 today,having a few beers,had a Datsun moment,Im going to pull the drivetrain saturday-(1.6 4 speed,no keys,dont know if it runs-it turns over with a battery hooked to the starter),then pull the truck's L20B next weekend,then install it in the 510 the next week....THEN-the 411 gets my full attention..Im thinking about building the lowering blocks (Id rather spend 14 hours hacksaw/belt sander machining some aluminum blocks than buy them},and building a nice basic airbag setup. I pulled the jensen tape deck out yesterday,sorry-no pics,I wasnt thinking,but what a pain in the A$$. Seriously considering cutting the dash for a DIN reciever.(Im keeping the car for a LONG time) I just got an eclipse CD4000 for cheap $$$.I know the car is rare and I shouldnt cut anything,BUT,Im keeping it,and want to make it mine. Also I have worked for a few stereo shops,so it wont be hacked.....my big problem is that I own 4 Datsuns,plus my 1993 SR powered 240sx,among a few other cars,but Im also in the process of sheetrocking my upstairs,building a garage,landscaping,building 4 ATV's AND working a 50 hour a week job building bridges....AAARRRGGGGHHH!!!! The 411 will get my full undivided attention within a month,and as promised,ill document it all with a build thread. keep the comments coming! I need motivation! also,non Datsun,but my buddy who helped me have the Datsun moment is building my old 1990 240Sx coupe shell...KA-T!!! We are going to have a hell of a summer!

Also,Warfrat moonlights as a MG guru. He redid the exhaust without a resonator,which he said he ran on the MGs,so the 2 to 1 pipe seems to not exist....GLASSPACKS RULE!!! Seriously,he said thats what he ran on his MG's(straight pipe with a glasspack),and it sounds good enough to turn even the ricer's heads...BWAAAAAAAAHHHHP BWAAAAAAAHHHP!!!!! Im going to copy his design in 1.75" stainless when we get going on it...with my NOS new in the box Datsun chrome tip! super BWAHPPPPs then!!!

• 7 months later...

Also,Warfrat moonlights as a MG guru. He redid the exhaust without a resonator,which he said he ran on the MGs,so the 2 to 1 pipe seems to not exist....GLASSPACKS RULE!!! Seriously,he said thats what he ran on his MG's(straight pipe with a glasspack),and it sounds good enough to turn even the ricer's heads...BWAAAAAAAAHHHHP BWAAAAAAAHHHP!!!!! Im going to copy his design in 1.75" stainless when we get going on it...with my NOS new in the box Datsun chrome tip! super BWAHPPPPs then!!!

The RL411 "2 to 1 pipe" does not exist per se. It is a short cast iron extension of the exhaust manifold tipped up to mate with the hole in the left front fender. It has a "donut" iron ring that interfaces with the flared end of the exhaust to pre muffler pipe and fastens with a sheet metal 2 piece clamp. Don't know how the PL411 exhaust worked its magic.

• 11 months later...

The exhaust manifold is the performance weak point on the SSS - definitely difficult to produce an efficient header to go thru the inner fender.. I use a SuperTrapp a d it sounds nice. Id incliude a pic if I was smart enough to figure out how to attach it......

The exhaust manifold is the performance weak point on the SSS - definitely difficult to produce an efficient header to go thru the inner fender.. I use a SuperTrapp a d it sounds nice. Id incliude a pic if I was smart enough to figure out how to attach it......

It might work to discard the cast iron 2 to 1 adapter, use a roadster-like gasket and bring 2 parallel inch and a half pipes through the fender to a dual inlet premuffler / resonator. Dual or single outlet to the rear muffler? Single would probably do the job, the exhaust stream has cooled down and decreased in volume at the resonator outlet. US spec inch and a half tubing is thicker that the factory tubing. bends might have to be fabricated from stock pieces rather that just bent on a fixture. Trying to route inside the engine compartment brings them too close to the recirculating ball {Saginaw Screw Jack like] steering unit and might overheat it and screw up the lube inside.