Rim size and fitting a wagon

Dazed and Confused!!! I have a 72 wagon that I planned on lowering (pretty low) so of course I stay posted to the forum reading how to lower, rim size, bla bla bla

Long story short, I went out and bought these rims: 7 inch wide, 5 and 7/16 back spacing with 2 and 1/2 in spacing from the from the mount face (needless to say when guys start talking offset ... Im lost like Goldilocks.

Bottom line is the rims I bough rub the strut tower and align perfectly with the inside fender well, I may even have to trim or roll the fender... So back the strut - it rubs maybe somethign like 1 - 16th or at max an 8th.

Now I was talking to a buddy of mine and he told me the offset was wrong, I told him that even if I corrected the offset by adding a spacer the rim is now wider than it was when i started and it will certainly rub the fender everytime I hit a bump.

So the question is this: would a 6.5 rim work better for lowering and how are you cats managing to get a 7 inch rim under your stock fenders? Note: I dont like that stretched tire look and dont really want to use that type of application on my car.

IMG_0153.jpg[/img]IMG_0151.jpg[/img]IMG_0149.jpg[/img]IMG_0148.jpg[/img]IMG_0147.jpg[/img]

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am know whiz at wheel offsets but looks like you have a wheel meant more for a FWD car. you need to use a wheel with not so much of a positive offset. I personally don't like using spacers either. for me I am using 7.5 width rims on the back of my wagon that are 14" diameter and have no issues. the fronts are 14x6.5 but I never looked at the offset as I got the wheels off a corolla gts and fit perfect for me but the ssr website shows a +7 offset front and +6 offset rear.

So the question is this: would a 6.5 rim work better for lowering and how are you cats managing to get a 7 inch rim under your stock fenders? Note: I dont like that stretched tire look and dont really want to use that type of application on my car.

Well like metioned above you're looking at a FWD offset wheels you have there. Here are a few pics of my 1968 510 wagon with 16x7 Panasports in a 0-offset. The 16x7 rear wheels/tires fit totally perfect running a 205/45R16 tire but the 15x7 0-offset fronts were another story. They stuck out a bit too much and with barely enough cleance to slip a finger (:P) between the tire and the fender it rubbed pretty often on a short drive.

DSCN6983.jpg

DSCN6984.jpg

So now I'm running a set of staggered 15 Watanbe's with 7.5 inch in the rears with no rubbing problems at all.

FRONT wheels are 15 inch x 6.5 inch- Offset: 9mm

REAR wheels are 15 inch x 7.5 inch- Offset: 21mm

IMG_7554.jpg

IMG_7569.jpg

IMG_7579.jpg

Also might help to know if you're running a stock 510 strut assembly or has it been swapped to a 280ZX one?

Dazed and Confused!!! I have a 72 wagon that I planned on lowering (pretty low) so of course I stay posted to the forum reading how to lower, rim size, bla bla bla

Long story short, I went out and bought these rims: 7 inch wide, 5 and 7/16 back spacing with 2 and 1/2 in spacing from the from the mount face (needless to say when guys start talking offset ... Im lost like Goldilocks.

Bottom line is the rims I bough rub the strut tower and align perfectly with the inside fender well, I may even have to trim or roll the fender... So back the strut - it rubs maybe somethign like 1 - 16th or at max an 8th.

Now I was talking to a buddy of mine and he told me the offset was wrong, I told him that even if I corrected the offset by adding a spacer the rim is now wider than it was when i started and it will certainly rub the fender everytime I hit a bump.

IMG_0153.jpg[/img]IMG_0151.jpg[/img]IMG_0149.jpg[/img]IMG_0148.jpg[/img]IMG_0147.jpg[/img]

If your planning on going low and it already has these problems you better consider different rims. X3 on the FWD offset those are for something like a Honda. The other thing is I don't know if you have lowered a car before but if you want to go as "low" as you say you do your doing to need to do fender modification and strut mods. If you don't want to do that then get some negative or zero offset wheels that are narrower and tuck. Otherwise "poke" or "flush" fittment is only possible with fender mods given that your going super low. Trust me my car is low.

my setup, if it helps you. I do have ZX struts.

SSR Star Formula 14x6.5, +8 offset

195/60/14 Falken Azenis 615RT

it's as low as it can go without cutting. Rolled front and rear fenders, no rub, even while cornering really hard. Wheel offsets are confusing for many (including me) but those wheels do look like something for a FWD like the posters above have mentioned.

4516756337_7d22be4ba1.jpg

Great information! and thanks guys

Ok strut mods? why would I go with a 280zx front strut? what are the advanatages and disadvantages? currently I have a set of lowering springs that I was going to use with the factory strut housing. coil overs are great BUT! its a street car and not something that I ever plan to have on or near a track. Seems a little overkill to me... I may be dead wrong and thats why Im here, what do you guys think?

Ok strut mods? why would I go with a 280zx front strut? what are the advanatages and disadvantages? currently I have a set of lowering springs that I was going to use with the factory strut housing. coil overs are great BUT! its a street car and not something that I ever plan to have on or near a track. Seems a little overkill to me... I may be dead wrong and thats why Im here, what do you guys think?

How low are you planning on going? Depending on how low you want to go the ride will change. If you go super low you want much stiffer springs so that your shocks don't bottom out. This in turn makes the ride much bumpier. I think we need some pics of your car and tell us how low you want to go.

if you go as low as my car is the ride will suck and you grind on speed bumps and what not.

IMG_2094.jpg?t=1271184812

IMG_2116.jpg?t=1271184835

The is a price to pay for everything.

going with zx strut and brake upgrade gives you better braking, shorter body strut housing for more travel if you do go lower, beefier spindle and not too expensive of a mod to do versus staying stock and then later wanting to get better brakes. if you do the swap I would suggest getting bump steer spacers to correct camber or buy camber kits if you plan on going low but may not need to get camber kits as the rear of the wagon can only go so low before you have to do major mods like cutting drivetrain tunnel to clear driveshaft. Jun's wagon and my wagon are very similar in stance and if you go any lower you will need to do some modding which once you go that far is not returnable. I personally do not like cutting up cars but that is my opinion.

I highly suggest coil overs even for a street car. much more you can do tuning wise and changing of spring rates.

How low are you planning on going? Depending on how low you want to go the ride will change. If you go super low you want much stiffer springs so that your shocks don't bottom out. This in turn makes the ride much bumpier. I think we need some pics of your car and tell us how low you want to go.

if you go as low as my car is the ride will suck and you grind on speed bumps and what not.

IMG_2094.jpg?t=1271184812

IMG_2116.jpg?t=1271184835

The is a price to pay for everything.

more pics!!!! when did you drop it this low and are you gonna clean up the rear wheel wells ? i see you hacked off the huge ass flares are you gonna go with a little more conservitie flare? im so digin this 1200 :frantics:

Bonvo,

Your car is pretty darn low! So maybe .... I dont wanna go quite that low. In my mind Im thinking something that looks pimp when its setting on the curb or at the local show. However, I also dont like the look or feel of a car thats so low it bounces around when you hit a piece opf gravel in the road (ive had my fare share of cut springs and that just plain old sucks) Friends of mine own race cars and their cars never seem to bounce around when their on the track. I guess thats the difference between lowering springs and coil overs. Im learning!!

Ok so 280zx struts: correct me if Im wrong, but the strut tower itself is shorter than a factory 510? or is this the case only after youve cut and welded on a spring perch for a coil over?

You boys ROCK!!!!

Just wanted to add that my car is completely factory and about to be stripped for paint. I have a fuel injected L20, lots of shaved this and that planned, custom interior (dash, door, panels and center console) so needless to say this project is in its infancy.

Just wanted to add that my car is completely factory and about to be stripped for paint. I have a fuel injected L20, lots of shaved this and that planned, custom interior (dash, door, panels and center console) so needless to say this project is in its infancy.

Not to sound like a jerk but if your spending so much time on this car why those ugly wheels? Just my opinion but I think they are too new for a 510

here is more pics

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/20472-photoshoot-take-ii/page__p__286623__fromsearch__1entry286623