620 Posi?

dsigh

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posi-Traction was the General motors proprietary name for their limited slip. Posi and LSD are the same concept. As far as the nissan rear ends go an H-190 is an H-190 wether its in a 521, 620, 720, or D-21. There were three variances throughout the years but they are all interchangeable. The trucks have 29 spline axles reguardless of the year. The differences had to do with the input flanges, ring gear bolt sizes, and housing material. The H-233b is a whole other beast. The parts are not interchangeable between the H-190 and the H-233b. I believe I measured a H233b once and it was close to 5" wider than the 620 H-190.

Mike. Your are entirely correct except that the trucks with 4.11 to 4.88 use a different offset carrier than the 3.70 to 3.90 trucks. I found that out the hard way trying to stuff a LSD for the 4.37's into a 3.70 housing. They are offset about 1/4" out. Oh well.

Your best and easiest bet is going to be as Clayton said find a diff with the gears you want and get a power brute. Down the road for under $500 and an afternoon of your time. I've had one for a couple of years now and it works great. No problems. Heres the link to the writeup.

http://www.nwde.org/extras/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=3243&KW=lsd

Another thing to watch out for is IF you did use a toyota 4x rear end, the spring perches are 1/2" further out on each side from a Datsun. You'd have to cut & weld either the perches or the spring mounts on the frame. BUT, if you are thinking about re-gearing later on also, it's the cheap way to go since R&P sets are CHEAP for a Toy.

Bleach, if you were referring earlier to the Toy 5 lug being better than the 6 lug, keep in mind the 5 lug toy rear ends were a 7.5" ring gear and the 6 lug are 8" ring gear with a LOT more gearing and carrier options available. They also have aftermarket Cryo'd shafts available up to 31 spline, can be made full floating and have Supra rear discs adapted to them. Making a rear axle that could handle up to ~400HP

Pope_face, most lockers can't be turned on & off, unless you are only talking about factory options on new cars which are $$$$. The majority of aftermarket lockers and LSDs are permanent Except for a few such as the ARB(air activated) Or Ox locker(cable), and those run about $800 each, where as a permanent locker or Limited Slip starts at about $230.

Also, another difference between Datsun rear ends and a Chevy or Toyota rear is the lug bolt size & thread pitch. Ask me how I know:o, I switched to a Toy rear in my 4x and put the wrong lug nut on once.

from what I understand ALL datsun trucks from the 320 to the d21 (and 510 wagon) all used the H190 rear end exept the wagon uses a axel that has less splines than the trucks so you can swap out the center section (3rd member) from a d21 into the rear end housing in your 620 or 521 like I am doin and like Brandon AKA Fineline has done the reason you use a d21 3rd member is because the ring gear bolt are different in size from the 620 to the d21 and the LSD unit is machined for the larger ring gear bolts, I have driven Finelines truck a few times and along with his brake kit his coilovers and the LSD and 3:70 gears is one hell of a fun truck to drive. As far as LOCKERS or the way I know them is detroit lockers they were standard OE ON most shelby mustangs in the 60s and 70s and were used in the trans am series in the mustangs for road racing they were also used for 4 wheeling and offroad racing I learned how to drive SIDEWAYS in my buddys mustang that had a locker thay are AWESOME they do increase mid corner push but you can tune the suspension around them I have been autocrossing mustangs for the last 7 years off and on some with a locker some without and love them but I dont think you can get them for a Datsun/Nissan rearends. if you have anymore questions I will try to help let me know

Thank you all for your help.

We can put this one to rest - knowledge has been served!

HA your in folsom nissan only auto wreckers will have a rear end for you they are off of sunrise going towards the back side of mather... if you didnt know where it was :D

Clayton: Thanks for the heads up.

Makya: I didn't know that most lockers were permenantly "on"... A chunk of my car knowledge comes from my daily, which is a 4x4... those were my previous forums, and so 4x4 gear is really the only stuff I started learning about. The Datsuns are a lot more street-oriented, or at least for my purposes. When I mentioned lockers I was thinking of companies like ARB or Detroit (I think they have a switched locker...) for a combination off-road/street differential... I forgot about the costs...

HA your in folsom nissan only auto wreckers will have a rear end for you they are off of sunrise going towards the back side of mather... if you didnt know where it was :D

:D Rancho Row is like Disneyland for me. The link below shows you all of the manufacturers that are 15 mins from my place. I'm hoping to get a ton of stuff from the Nissan wrecker.

http://www.rcsr.com/

If anyone has plans of heading my way, let me know and I'll buy you a hot dog down the street at Sacramento Vintage Ford, another good time, a true museum!

http://www.vintageford.com/

so, I think I have read every post in here on this thread and I dont see where somebody measured the d21 rear end. If its the same width as a 620 rear than a pathy rear would only be 5/8" wider. I think you guys are just talking about swapping the third member though, correct? peace.

Mike. Your are entirely correct except that the trucks with 4.11 to 4.88 use a different offset carrier than the 3.70 to 3.90 trucks. I found that out the hard way trying to stuff a LSD for the 4.37's into a 3.70 housing. They are offset about 1/4" out. Oh well.

Great info Fineline! Isn't that always the way it is? The fly in the ointment. The posi carriers are just slightly different than the others... figures.

As I remember:

GM.......... posi track

Chrysler... sure grip

Ford.........limited slip

so, I think I have read every post in here on this thread and I dont see where somebody measured the d21 rear end. If its the same width as a 620 rear than a pathy rear would only be 5/8" wider. I think you guys are just talking about swapping the third member though, correct? peace.

yes just the 3rd member...

Surely the 4x4 D21 and D22 had LSD, I know they were standard here. I think early D21 Kingcabs had LSD as standard here as well.

the 4x4 heres were all h233b or c200 rearf ends and only the v6 4x4 had it offered all years. Very few 4x4 4 cylinders got an LSD and it was only an option, not standard. I have also never seen an LSD C200 but I have heard it was offered; dont know for sure though. peace.