Nissan Patrol Questions

Hello,

I am looking at getting a 1960's Nissan Patrol on trade. It is missing the top, and from looking at the pictures, I would say that it has been sitting for some time. He says it needs "minor work".

The mileage is low, and most all the OEM stuff seems to be there. No mods.

About what are these things going for? I have been looking at a few websites and other places etc.

Picture a largely complete, stock Patrol, minus top.

Ideas on value? Parts worth anything? If I build it, I will have extras.

I may build it, I may sell it, I may stare at it!

Just don't want to pay to much on trade.

Any thoughts, appropriate comments etc.?

I am not wanting to end up with another Yard ornament, but I do kinda dig it!

Thank you, ROB

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

" but I do kinda dig it!" Never buy based on sentiment it clouds the judgment.

"I may build it, I may sell it, I may stare at it!" This is not a good reason for buying. Have a clear idea of what you want to do with it.

Build: It should be mostly complete or you should have several 'parts' trucks already. A clear idea of what you want to do like restore, modify, customize it. Have you done this before and are you aware of how much money and time needed to complete this project because it quickly can grind to a halt or spiral out of control.What are your skill levels and do you have the tools and a place for this.

Sell: Only reason to sell is to at the very least break even (why bother) or for profit. So is it worth more than the seller thinks so that you can quickly get something out of it? Or do you plan to sink money and time into it to make it more valuable for sale? As a Datsun rule of thumb you get about 2/3 (on a good day) out of whatever you put into these cars. It's more for the love of owning or working (or both) on these old cars than elusive profit.

Stare at: How much do you want to spend on a lawn ornament?

well I own 2 patrols - I bought one for 600 not running - but all the parts in place, I bought a second with out an engine/trans/top for 800. but body was in good condition. The Patrols are known for being bullet proof, they have a very low end. The engine the same as used in lots of nissan forklifts so parts are around, but not easy to get all the time. If you search the net you will find the Patrols are very good looking, and not everyone has one. I think the parts are interchangeable with other datsun, but haven't gotten into mine enough to figure out what is interchangable. Steve

I just watched a complete one that had some other issues go for around $1400 on Ebay. There is more to the story, but the Patrol would basically be a bonus on a trade that I am contemplating making. I have been building approximately one vehicle every other year for about 14 years or so. If I were to keep it I would end up doing some crossbreeding etc.

My main thing was determining value. It sounds like it is the Japanese version of the Scout. No offense to any fans here of the mighty Scout. I had a pretty nice one of those that needed some mild TLC and couldn't get more than $300 for it......

If I pursue this Patrol, it will likely be due to my own interests.

It does not appear to be worth more than about $500 based on what I have seen and heard about.

Thank you friends. I needed some direction and I think I have that now.

ROB

I love old Patrols...they are very rare and will be pretty hard to find many parts for, but if its a truck that you like, go for it!

In a real break from the "norm" and in a radical switch from my own trend... :rolleyes: ...

I am going to dissagree with Mike on this one.

I have owned over 50 cars, bought most of them for less than 500 bucks, made profit on most all of them, had a great time working on them and driving my family around in most of them...not to mention the friends that have come as a direct result of the vehicles.

Almost every single one of them bought with more of a sense of the cars "personality". I'm not a freegin psycho nut job....just sayin what works for me.

I would be a fan of making this purchase on sentiment alone :D If the truck looks pretty solid and has that "take me home...I'm a keeper" vibe, then roll with it. I have NEVER (caps are always used to display emphasis right? :rolleyes: )been disappointed with a car that I really looked at with these eyes. Meaning...what does the truck look like under all the paint? Does it seem like its going to be a total piece? Has it been neglected by it's owner or has it neglected it's owner?

Some cars are piles....no kidding right? In my personal experience I have found that if they smell like a pile they usually are. I have walked away from some pretty sweet deals based on this "feeling" not being there...and found out later that the car was garbage from the guys that ended upm with it.

This is a trick that works for me....it may not be good business advice (which is where Mike is totally right on this one :D ) but it has been effective as a business practice for me.

People idea of "original" seems to vary *widely* when if comes to Patrols. I see ads all the time that say "original", when it's not even close to being stock. The factory split rims are nice, and hard to find. Most people threw them away an put aftermarket junk on instead. I sold mine, which was totally original, factory paint, all stock, , split rims, except for the front seat being recovered, for $4500 a year ago or so.

I should post up since I am the starter of the thread I suppose.

I've been trying casually for the last year to sell one of my Jeeps off. I found a guy who had the magic number in cash and a partial trade with the patrol. It was basically a bonus at this time. If you have ever dealt with Craigslist you know what I am going to say next. He sent me a few half hearted pics, and then couldn't be reached for 4 days. Then another email then nothing............

So no Patrol for me. I have learned alot about them, and I will consider getting one. For now, I am taking a trip with my Jeep..........

Thank you for the ideas.

ROB

Bummer! <_<

Lesson learned about Craigslist....it's a free sales board....which just means there is really no telling who's calling about the stuff your selling, or selling the stuff you wanna buy. :P

Have a good one.