Z22E Piston Size HELP HELP HELP!!!

Dirttrack510

I am getting ready to start building a Hybrid Long Rod L20B motor or 2.1 liter/2100 or whatever you wanna call it. My question is this...Every time I read an article about building these Frankenmotors, The Parts list always says to use Z22E pistons that are +1mm oversize to get 88mm. When you try to buy pistons, the parts store doesn't sell them that way. They want to know .010, .020, .030 oversize etc. etc. etc. What Over bore do I need to ask for?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am getting ready to start building a Hybrid Long Rod L20B motor or 2.1 liter/2100 or whatever you wanna call it. My question is this...Every time I read an article about building these Frankenmotors, The Parts list always says to use Z22E pistons that are +1mm oversize to get 88mm. When you try to buy pistons, the parts store doesn't sell them that way. They want to know .010, .020, .030 oversize etc. etc. etc. What Over bore do I need to ask for?

.040=1mm

• Like 1

I couldn't find where it says a 1mm oversize Z22E piston.

If you are using a Z22 block just check the bore for wear. If within spec you can just hone and re-use the stock pistons. If too worn, just order the next oversize 0.010" 0.020" whatever. If you are using an L20B simply overbore to fit the stock 87mm Z22 pistons. This is way cheaper than buying oversize pistons. 0.010" or even 0.394" (1mm) isn't going to make hardly any difference in engine size.

In any case, never bore to what ever oversize the pistons are that you choose. The pistons should be supplied to the shop doing the boring. NO piston is exactly 87mm. They are mass produced and fall just below and above that amount. This is the same with the blocks at the factory, no bore is exactly the correct amount. During assembly a slightly large piston is mated to a slightly oversize bore. The shop doing the bore job will measure the piston and bore to fit. At least a good shop will.

:poke: lol just keeping you honest Brian. :lol:

The Z22S (carb) engines were only used in the 720 truck and all had the exact same rod as the L20B motor.

The Z22E (EFI) engines were only used in the '81-'82 200sx. However if you have the early '81 Z22E made between June and December of '81 then it will have the same rod length as the Z22S and the L20B. From January on they were switched to the longer 6" length