Caster Issues

dryheat

I just replaced every moving part on my 71 Goon front end including some new strut cartridges and took it in for an alignment. Apparently the right front wheel was at -3 derees of caster and they were wondering if the car had ever been in an accident. I personally have seen no evidence of any crash repair in the passenger front.

The temporary solution was to add spacers to the backside of the TC rod and push the LCA further back. This caused the wheel to be pushed rearward as well and put a serious amount of stress on the LCA bushing. I would estimate that the wheel has been pushed back a little over and inch causing some rubbing of the tire in right had turns.

So I need some advice please ...

Where / what can I measure to try and figure out what is causing this?

Other than the top of the strut tower being pushed back what else could cause my caster to be off so far?

Thank you for any and all assistance / advise.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My guess would be that your steering rack and/or front end is not square. That's basically what the shop was asking you.

You can fake it by switching to coilovers. Adjustable rods and then Camber plates from Techno Toy Tuning. The plates can be angled too so that they add caster and camber at top... if you want. (45 deg)

that temp solution is scary if it breaks...

I agree ... which is why I am so concerned right now.

using camber plates? the type w/caster built in?

No camber/caster plates involved ... just the stock mounting hardware.

struts installed rotated at the top ?
I've never done struts before so please 'splain Lucy. Remember that I'm old and not too bright so use small words and if possible some pictures too!

IF the struts were not removed, then its not the solution.

if they were, then they need to go back in, in the original orientation.

i had this done on an ol GF's RX7.

end of story... the shop that did it, the shop manger was fired for being 'wrong' and calling us names, implying that we did something wrong after the work was completed.

I am worried now......

My 710 struts did not line up right so I turned the top hat half a turn,,, ,, but now it looks like one side has more camber than the other side.....

I have only driven it a couple miles, and everything feels fine,,,,, ,,

How do you know "the right way" to line up the top hats?............. I think there are only 3 possible ways..... and only one right way....

Each side has a different wrong way....... one has camber in......... the other has caster back........ :(

Figures...... if there is a 1 in 3 chance of getting something right,,,,, I will achieve 2 of the wrong ways....... FUCK :blush:

IF the struts were not removed, then its not the solution.

Thanks Brian .. the struts were removed and I did not mark the orientation of the top hats so I'll pull them back out and try to figure it out. I appreciate the help.

Since there are two extra holes in the top hat I will "assume" they have something to do with the orientation. If not I only have two positions left to try.

I've never done struts before so please 'splain Lucy. Remember that I'm old and not too bright so use small words and if possible some pictures too!

I guess my +/- was off. I found an indication that the right front strut may have had some repair work done. I will just remove the spacers and have the alignment shop make the car drive straight as possible and not eat tires and leave it at that.

Thanks for everyones help.

I guess my +/- was off. I found an indication that the right front strut may have had some repair work done. I will just remove the spacers and have the alignment shop make the car drive straight as possible and not eat tires and leave it at that.

Thanks for everyones help.

Post some pictures. Maybe you should replace the strut(s)?