Fuel Gauge Stupidity?

Digger

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As a rule...every single gauge/sender combo has the right to be just a little different than the next one. It's like they are revolting against conformity. :rolleyes:

Pack an extra can of gas along for the trip some time and let it run out...that way you will know!

Thats true....but I have discovered (more than one time:) That the "empty" mark is a little higher than I thought it was...and boy does that suck! Besides...it provides a good opportunity to "discover" the truth about your gauge and change the filter...all at once! :rolleyes:

If you're worried about crap in your gas tank, they have a drain plug. Just get one of those cement mixing pans from Homer Depot and drain your tank into the pan. It'll hold at least half the tank. Wouldn't hurt to clean it out just on general principles. It'll also extend the life if there is water in the tank, slow down the rusting.

They're all different.

My Mom swore for years that the first line was 1/4 tank. Sher was pretty sure that if the needle moved at all, there was still gas in the tank.

Then she ran out of gas in the driveway. The needle moves- it has to have gas in it. Nope. Put a gallon in, and eventually it started back up.

So "Empty" on hers is about halfway into the "E". Hers in a '73... My '74, if you see ANY daylight between the 1st line and the needle, it's too late and it's empty. I ran out (the only time I ever have) on my way to the gas station... fortunately had my lawnmower can in the truck, and it still had a half gallon or so. Got me to the station.

The Standard tank is 11.7 gallons, though there are variations in '78-79 on Longbeds. One of my trucks has an aftermarket tank of unknown size (it's at least over 13 gallons, I've goten nearly 14 in it once. Probably 15.) but I have no idea where the real empty line is. Don't really want to find out the hard way.

At least it's not my Chevy... the "E" marking is at 11-o'clock, the "F" at 1-o'clock, but when full the needle is at 4-o'clock and empty is somewhere around 2-2:30. Nowhere NEAR the scale... it's 90 degrees off!

Guest kamakazi620

Like everyone says its trial and error,Mine is a 72-73 620 and if the needle moves on E you got 30-40 miles left if it don't move you be

walkin' unlike Christoper reeves

Well thanks for the help guys, makes no sense when you guys talk gallons to me :P Im from Australia so its all in litres, oh one other question, when I put my foot down the car splutters a bit as if it's struggling to get fuel for a little bit and then it runs alright, I am thinking that it is either a fuel filter issue or maybe the carby, has anyone experienced this before?

Guest kamakazi620

Well thanks for the help guys, makes no sense when you guys talk gallons to me :P Im from Australia so its all in litres, oh one other question, when I put my foot down the car splutters a bit as if it's struggling to get fuel for a little bit and then it runs alright, I am thinking that it is either a fuel filter issue or maybe the carby, has anyone experienced this before?

Yeah,could be a number of things crap in the tank cloged fuel filter,carb or timing not adjusted to specs,check the simple stuff first like filter/tune up