remotezygote's 67 RL411

Here's how she started (photos from the eBay auction):

3959519409_a7df0db138_o.png

3959520347_6b2a987aea_o.png

And when I got her home:

3966618774_e3bd14d0e0_o.jpg

I'll take some more pictures tonight hopefully, but so far I've done some electrical work, stripped the interior bare to get ready for a nice new interior, and have amassed a metric buttload of parts and materials.

I'm now debating about whether to swap out the engine (discussion).

I've been posting pictures on my Flickr stream if you want to keep track.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You still have the sheet metal fan guard attached to the radiator, this is a good sign that you either have the original unmolested radiator or a carefully rebuilt one. The fan guard either snaps off when the mechanic times the engine and bends it out of the way or the radiator rebuilder tosses it. It is embedded in the solder joint holding the top cap to the core. It looks like you are missing the glass bowl / rag bag fuel filter. Do you have a 510 style plastic in line filter?

NIce ride!!!

I love how all these 411 are coming out of the wood work.

to be honest I dont recall seeing one on Ratsun untill after i posted mine lmao

keep us up on your build looking forward to seeing what you do for a motor swap, iam thinkin about putting a L in mine. Since I have more of them than i need :eek:

• 2 weeks later...

Update(s):

Engine decision has been made. I've decided to stay with Datsun/Nissan and ordered an SR20DET from an S13 240SX - will be swapping that over the next couple of months.

Interior: I have lots of materials for fully redoing the interior of this thing. Still stripping it down to nothing so I can put some paint down, but it will be a tan/sand leather and bamboo wood interior (sounds funky I know but bear with me). I'll be replacing the door panels, kick panels, rear hatch panel, and cargo area panels with finished bamboo plywood instead of the vinyl covered stuff that came stock. The dash will be leather-topped/trimmed and bamboo-veneered with very little in the way of controls (I have a crazy plan for that too). Seats are still a point of thought - re-upholstering the existing seats in leather seems the obvious choice, but I keep imagining the muddy dog jumping up on it and I start thinking cloth might be nice... The headliner was ripped so I've ripped that out and will be replacing it - any ideas on where to get a bow-style headliner these days? I found this: http://www.wlsheadliners.com//bowstyle-headliner-for-classic-and-antique-cars-p-16.html but not much else.

Still have lots of thinking to do about suspension and some other things, but the plan is coming together, and yet again I am overdoing it. :)

So pretty soon there will be an R16 and a B/W T35 available if anyone was looking for those.

Update(s):

Engine decision has been made. I've decided to stay with Datsun/Nissan and ordered an SR20DET from an S13 240SX - will be swapping that over the next couple of months.

I have no idea how you're gonna fit that without massive butchering. Have you measured the engine compartment with the R16 removed? What about clearing the front suspension cross member?

Hope you succeed otherwise another 411 gone to Project Hell.

thats a truck it has a bigger compartment!!!

^ This.

Yeah, the old "I'll make it fit" doesn't really apply to the 411. I have a feeling it's gonna laugh at you, especially the driver's side fenderwell.

Hell, the Roadster R16 didn't even fit right, they had to redesign the intake manifold, exhaust mannifold and carbs.

Don't go spending a lot of scratch on an engine yet... You have a LOT of measuring to do.

Cool wagon tho - I can't wait to get my stroker motor back for mine!!!!

^ This.

Yeah, the old "I'll make it fit" doesn't really apply to the 411. I have a feeling it's gonna laugh at you, especially the driver's side fenderwell.

Hell, the Roadster R16 didn't even fit right, they had to redesign the intake manifold, exhaust mannifold and carbs.

Don't go spending a lot of scratch on an engine yet... You have a LOT of measuring to do.

kind of why i passed on a l20b swap!!!

^ This.

Plus to fit the type R engine into the 411 body, the valve cover, water pump, fan blades, spinner, Crankshaft pully, and Alternator mount had to be modified. When you view the roadster and the 411 SSS side by side all these little differences start to grow on you.