lowering

datsunfish

The search function here seems to suck as bad as the nwde.What is the most common method of lowering my dime.The front needs to go down 2-3" and the back a bit too.The front is the most important since it has like 3"+ gap to the tire.Cut a coil?Different struts?Thanks.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I love coilovers I have had them on all of my 510s and are well worth the money and a good set of strut inserts. there seems to be a lot of..well....cheap datsun owners and I understand the lack of money some of us (including me) have, but I have learned that spending money on something more than once SUCKS so I now save a little longer and do the job once. I f you are interested take a look at Troy Ermishs' website he can be tough to deal with at times (hahaha) tell him you heard about him through RATSUN and he will be more inclined to answer questions he gets a lot of "tire kickers" if you get my meaning he answers a lot of questions and then they dont buy anything get frustrating hope this helps

http://www.ermish-racing.com

ZX sturts and coilovers! :D Cutting stock springs makes it ride very bad. ZX struts are shorter aka more travel :D Coilovers are nice, with 250lbs springs you can utilize the suspension travel thats left. I have 300lbs springs in my car and I love them! The problem with stock springs is they are to soft, the suspension travels to much and bottoms out... I suck at explaining this....

I agree with FJwagon, Its better to wait and be happy than switch it out later. Coilovers are about 200 bucks. Once I ordered a pair of blown out Tien's off Ebay, they came with camber plates to :D I cut them up and the worked good on Tagens car, I think I paid 120 shipped. If your not into fab work Troy Ermish may be the way to go.

You can get different springs that will work for you stock struts. If you want to be cheap about it and get say 160+lb springs without a drop, go to the pick and pull get the rear springs out of an early 80's old rwd Buick Regal. When you get them, cut the pigtail off and then you will be left with a spring that when you place it on the stock strut will give you about 160lbs or so and not lower the car any. However, the load height is higher than the stock spring by about

It seems that I am completely ignorant to car stuff.The trucks I know like the back of my hand.I am definitely not wanting to go cheap ass on this rig.It is too nice to half ass anything.I know the potential value of a bitchin 510.

I can save up a couple hundskies for the good stuff.

I think there are some formulas for cutting coils down. The spring rate can be worked out before cutting.

It depends on your comfort level (what you can accept as good) and your ability to fabricate or your oversight during fabrication. Expense and time can dictate if you make something or buy it, as well. For me time and expense means I have lots of the former and little of the later. So I like to make or modify a part I need, if it works, that's even better!!!It's fun too. Some stuff you just have to pay for, it's cheaper and easier in the long run. But I am always impressed by a builders ingenuity and ability to solve a problem or get around it when they do it themselves.