MAZDA '77 pick up differential oil specs

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Im pretty sure that it uses the same as the Rx7. You do have the stock Rotary in it I'm assuming. but seeing since this is a truck it could use a bit more oil, rear end is slight bigger, I could be wrong. Best bet is to find a cheap Manual for it on ebay, I just bought one for my datsun 210 and only cost me $10 shipped.

Datzenmike wrote something about GL 4 and GL 5 and anti-scuff and brass or copper seals

are fucked up by some kind of lube , I'm just cautious about that .

Anything to make it clear ???? :cool:

There is no brass or copper in the differential so use GL-5 80 W 90 or a good synthetic for rear ends.

GL-4 contains less sulphur and is more tranny friendly.

Nissan recommends GL-4 for trannys and GL-5 for rear ends. I think many new trannys are different and can use the GL-5 and the newer younger mechanics don't remember the need to protect the brass in the older transmissions. I've heard them tell people that GL-5 is better, and it is but also it's not compatible with brass. It's a slow process (corrosion) your tranny won't disintergrate if you use it. But it will attack the brass/copper over time.

• Like 1

Basically if you have brass or bronze parts you need a yellow-metal safe gear oil, I don't know about Mazda diffs but as far as I can tell there aren't any yellow-metal parts in a Datsun rear end. Transmission, there are. And not all GL-4s are yellow metal safe, and some GL-5s are. When in doubt, read the label. Been big discussions of this on a lot of older-vehicle boards.

• Like 1