My 78 Datsun 620 project

This is my 78 Datsun 620 pickup. Im working on getting this thing painted on my own slowly but surely and all around everything to make this Datsun nice.

Im not that far yet but making progress. It is my first vehicle and project so I love tips and info, I know ill need some.

This is what it looked like when I got it. Well i painted the grill to match and lowered the front end. then I swapped some parts and power washed some of the paint that I could off becuase the guy before me spray painted it with cheap spray paint. Came off in chunks! So then I just sprayed the bare metal and other spots that were exposed with some primer spray paint.

chrisiphonepics033.jpg

hayleyscamera669.jpg[/img]

hayleyscamera676.jpg

I got a new fender becuase it got dented up when my girlfreind hit black ice. It only cost $80.00 brand new. my dad called B&R wrecking and they ordered it. they have other parts, good quility

hayleyscamera2100.jpg

hayleyscamera678.jpg

Here is my good hood, tailgate and other peice.? I dont know what its called lol. my tailgate took alot of work and sanding but got it straight and put some primer on it. Still alot of work to do though.

chrisiphonepics181.jpg

chrisiphonepics252.jpg

chrisiphonepics254.jpg

hayleyscamera2077.jpg

hayleyscamera2078.jpg

hayleyscamera2076.jpg

hayleyscamera2075.jpg

Heres some Datsuns and parts I got laying around. My dads Datsun I should say. He loves Datsuns and had a datsuns 620 for his first vehicle that was worth anything. He made it ALL nice to inside out, frame to engine then some kids stole it and totaled it.

hayleyscamera2067.jpg

hayleyscamera2068.jpg

hayleyscamera2090.jpg

hayleyscamera2091.jpg

hayleyscamera2069.jpg

hayleyscamera2070.jpg

hayleyscamera2079.jpg

hayleyscamera2081.jpg

chrisphonepics014.jpg

chrisphonepics040.jpg

This is all I have so far. I will post more pics once I make some more progress.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is my interior.

Me and my dad made that little box for my stereo. kenwood deck

hayleyscamera2084.jpg

I painted everything in the interior to match. and I got a blue LED light under my dash to glow down on my legs, Its sick in the dark. its hooked on a switch. You can barely see it glowing on my E-brake in this pic ill have to get a better pic.

truckengine044.jpg

Heres my 12 in. shallow mount kenwood excelon and kenwood excelon amp to match

hayleyscamera2085.jpg

hayleyscamera2086.jpg

My mids are the only thing thats not kenwood. I made these kick panels and wrapped them in some felt material. not bad look alot better then the old chipboard.

hayleyscamera2088.jpg

Heres my sweet door panels

hayleyscamera705.jpg

Im working on doing my own interior work. Im starting on some door panels. Got some panel board and got a door panel cut out but still need alot of shaping.

hayleyscamera3045.jpg

hayleyscamera3048.jpg

Put in new plastic becuase the old was as crispy as pringles.

truckengine045.jpg

truckengine048.jpg

So im pulling my truck in garage for a cpl weeks and tearing all that smogg control crap out and the old air filter etc and getting a 32/36 electric choke weber getting sent here in a good week or two, and hopefully getting a header in the next week to get this running real nice! My dad ordered a weber to for his datsun sitting out there and get him a running datsun too. It will be awesome. heres some pics of mine getting torn apart. hopefully lot more pics coming. love comments.

Heres before

truckengine042.jpg

Heres after. Still alot to do in there.

truckengine064.jpg

truckengine065.jpg

So While its in the garage not running its a good time to do some body work.

Before

truckengine055.jpg

I only did the side of the bed for now and only sanded the old paint off so I can finally get some primer on there. Not look so weird.

Theres my dad getting spray gun ready. First time spraying for me out of the air gun. Way diff and pretty fun!

truckengine058.jpg

truckengine057.jpg

Nice coat of primer. not to thick jus enough to cover. Still ALOT of sanding, bondo, sanding again , and primer and repeat again.lol

truckengine059.jpg

truckengine061.jpg

Clean the gun and im done for the night. took like 2 hours total. not too bad.

truckengine060.jpg

So ive been looking for a header and couldent find anything except 81-85 datsun headers. So I looked on good ol craigslist and found a guy saying he had one a couple towns away. So me and my dad drove to roseburg and took a head and manifold to see if this header wound fit. He said he pulled it off an L20b engine and that came out of an 81. It would bolt up to the head we got, so the next thing to do is see if it will fit and go down past the engine and under the truck in that little space. heres some pics.

truck2054.jpg

truck2055.jpg

truck2057.jpg

The header ports are square and the blocks are round but were pretty sure it will work just fine.

truck2060.jpg

truck2059.jpg

It Fits!! And its beautiful!!

truck2046.jpg

truck2047.jpg

truck2048.jpg

truck2044.jpg

truck2041.jpg

truck2040.jpg

Took out that 4 speed and put a 5 in.

truck2053.jpg

truck2069.jpg

truck2068.jpg

Getting everything off and ready for sanding

truck2063.jpg

We have to cut the transmission holder edges down to flat and put in a flat peice of steel for support after. Were doing this becuase the header ends right there and a new exhaust wouldent fit so jus cut that down a little and it will. heres some picks before and ill have some afters. were doing that tonight.

Where the white chalk is, is where we are going to cut out. not all the way down like half way.

truck2040.jpg

truck2050.jpg

truck2051.jpg

Heres the old and the ugly.lol

truck2049.jpg

Cant wait for my weber to come in!! :)

Cleaned my starter up and painting it

truck3041-1.jpg

primer

truck3047-1.jpg

blacked it out

truck3049.jpg

truck3048.jpg

Tape everything off, sanded it, ready for primer.

truck3069.jpg

truck3076.jpg

truck3074.jpg

truck3079.jpg

truck3081.jpg

truck3082.jpg

Thats not even half of it.

truck3077.jpg

Got some primer on the roof but ran out so had to by a gallon the next day. Its super thick so we mixed it with laquir thinner and painted some on trying to find a good mix to equal out, then ran out of laquir thinner so we will finish as soon as we get more.

truck3084.jpg

truck3085.jpg

This is the new primer. much darker I like it.

phoneee011.jpg

phoneee013.jpg

phoneee016.jpg

phoneee017.jpg

I love the progress!

I had a question on the intake manifold. Who ever had my truck before me just bent over or capped over all the vacuum lines. I'd like to know which ones need to go and which need to be hooked back up. There is one line that needs to go from the bottom of the Weber air filter, but the guy before me never put it in.

Cleaned up the block and all that gunky greasy crap.

truck3053.jpg

truck3054.jpg

truck3055.jpg

getting the manifold and header on there.

truck3056.jpg

truck3060.jpg

truck3061.jpg

dude i just read this whole thing and even though i give you credit for trying man you need to get somebody with a little more experience to help you, keep up the work though man dont give up, just keep trying untill you get it where you want it

Ya i here ya and thanks for the info but i have my dad and 3 other sample engines laying around that have all been modded different. My dads had a datsun and done this his whole life. And the whole painting thing is more of a learning experience and to have fun. No serious in that. But the engine is seriouse and my dads all up on that and i swear he's a genius. But if you have anything you see that maybe a big problem and can help I am more welcome to here them. thanks

dam hell yeah. Your lucky you got a indoor work space. I really want to start on the body work and paint my kc

what color are you goning to paint the truck?

Ya it is nice just a small place but better than nothing. Im lucky for sure tho. I dont know yet on color im thinking like a dark purple/blue. There so many colors to choose from, what do you think?

Ya it is nice just a small place but better than nothing. Im lucky for sure tho. I dont know yet on color im thinking like a dark purple/blue. There so many colors to choose from, what do you think?

you can say that again, i wish i had even a small space, i dont have crap and my truck sits in the driveway rotting, i have so many plans and parts but damn if i only had a garage so i caould carry it all out a little at aa time