'71 521 diff. upgrade???

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

depending on the year on that 4.3, you are probly rather close to its limits. One of the bigger concerns with the replacing the axle for me was the overall width. You could either do some of your own research on axle lengths or get one and cut it down. I opted to do an IRS subframe from a 240sx. Theres also a build thread from a member named Fineline. He found a place to get a beefier rear end for his 620 which would work for you aswell. Check out that build for the link.

edit. wasnt Fineline but this is the link i was referring to http://www.reiderracing.com/

• 4 weeks later...

I broke a rear end before, entertaining to watch the drive shaft fly from under the truck. The rear u joint broke and the tail of the transmission broke. This was in my S-10 with a 350.

89s-10rearend2.jpg

what are you planning on doing with the truck? is it gonna be a 1/4 mile truck or just a driver? are you gonna have bug wide tires or relatively stock sized tires?

if its a 71 then its prolly gonna have either 4.88s or 4.37s, so depending on the transmission you might have to change the gearing.

now if your gonna just make this a driver, then i would just stick with the stocker and if necessary just swap out the center chunk got a different gear ratio. ive built many chevy luvs with hot smallblocks and never had stock rearend pop. they all just end up breakin the tires loose. popped one with a 4 cylinder, but that neither here nor there lol.

now if youve got a manual trans and your gonna be bangin gears and such, then you might keep the rearend out of the s10 and possibly just have it narrowed a few inches. i had a 74 620 that i put a 4.1L buick v6 in, and i swapped an early s10 rearend into it. the leaf perches are only a 1/4in wider on each side on the s10 rear than the stock axle. so this should be the same for the 521. reason why i say youll have to narrow it is cuz the 521s axle from drum to drum is a little narrower than a 620 rearend. my 620 that had the s10 rear had the outside of the tires basically flush with the bedside.

What about the chevy LUV rear axle??? should be close to same width and six lug :D

IIRC the isuzu axle is very close to the same ring gear size as the datsun. they do have the spring perches in the same spots as an s10 axle though. so putting an isuzu rearend is an option, but id just stick with the datsun rearend if were gonna mess around with import axles.

aahhh ok gotcha!! forgot the LUV was a isuzu,what about a Astro van rear??? some of them were 6 lug but i think their way wider???

all the astro vans had 5 lug axles. the bigger 1500 style vans were the ones with six lug axles. and the astro vans had a wierd clampling style mounting setup for the leaf perches.

• Like 1
Guest kamakazi620

all the astro vans had 5 lug axles. the bigger 1500 style vans were the ones with six lug axles. and the astro vans had a wierd clampling style mounting setup for the leaf perches.

3m23pb3oc5Tb5Pb5R3a32c8643a2b333310.jpg

no they Didn't!!!!

Guest kamakazi620

mkay, how wide is it? 521s are pretty small compared to an astro...

ASTRO WIDE!!!!! dunno looks wider tho!!I'll measure one next time i;m at the yard,I betcha there the same as S10

It might help this conversation to assume that the strength of the Datsun rear will be plenty sufficient and that it really comes down to a gearing issue...so...

Which rear ends had third-members swappable with his 1971 pl521 rear axle? Axle splines and diameter cross references anyone? :blink:

And what gear ratio would be available? If stock is mid to high 4,s than what are some options? How low can he find (numbers low...not gearing low) in junk yards or donor axles? What were some factory options? Where are gear ratios indicated on the 521?

Guest kamakazi620

It might help this conversation to assume that the strength of the Datsun rear will be plenty sufficient and that it really comes down to a gearing issue...so...

Which rear ends had third-members swappable with his 1971 pl521 rear axle? Axle splines and diameter cross references anyone? :blink:

And what gear ratio would be available? If stock is mid to high 4,s than what are some options? How low can he find (numbers low...not gearing low) in junk yards or donor axles? What were some factory options? Where are gear ratios indicated on the 521?

And POSI!!!!!!!!!! swaparoo!!!!!!

H-190

All '72-'79 620 4.11, 4.375, 4.625 will fit.

All '80- '86.5 720 2wd 3.364, 3.70, 3.889, 4.11, 4.375 will fit.

The '82 200sx manual tranny has a 3.545 that will fit.

• 1 year later...

Had an '89 Chevy 3/4 ton van once upon a time 5-lug, 8.5" 10-bolt rear.... My factory parts source said it's no fluke.

Still got a brand new posi for one laying here on the bench, keepin that little spot dust free~ right over there! :blink: Wanna buy it...?;)

• Like 1