Miracle drug

My mom had a massive stroke sat. night. Got to the ER right behind ambulance, she was in bad shape. They gave her Tissue Plasminogen Activator (tPA), its a clot buster. Within 45 minutes she was moving both sides of her body, within 1 day she was out of ICU and talking a little, yesterday she came home from hospital, walking, talking, a little slow but wow, after seeing her in the ER I am just totally amazed. I guess you only have a short window for TPA, only 3% of stroke victims get to the hospital in time to try it. If you have older family, friends educate yourself on the signs of a stroke, my dad recognized it and called 911 within maybe 15 minutes of first symptons.

• Like 1
  • Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's great news.

My dad had a stroke almost 5 years ago. But he was to old school do do anything about it. I guess he figured it would go away. Well it didn't, He has been on a feeding tube for 5 years now and can't swallow or eat anything, He has since lost both legs and is just a mess.

It's really hard to see him like that. Just count your lucky stars that your mom is O.K.

A dear friend of mine had a stroke a year ago. It has been rough, here is some info I thought I would pass on

Thanks

Bryce

STROKE IDENTIFICATION:

During a BBQ, a friend stumbled and took a little fall - she assured everyone that she was fine (they offered to call paramedics) .she said she had just tripped over a brick because of her new shoes.

They got her cleaned up and got her a new plate of food. While she appeared a bit shaken up, Ingrid went about enjoying herself the rest of the evening

Ingrid's husband called later telling everyone that his wife had been taken to the hospital - (at 6:00 pm Ingrid passed away.) She had suffered a stroke at the BBQ. Had they known how to identify the signs of a stroke, perhaps Ingrid would be with us today. Some don't die. they end up in a helpless, hopeless condition instead.

It only takes a minute to read this...

A neurologist says that if he can get to a stroke victim within 3 hours he can totally reverse the effects of a stroke...totally. He said the trick was getting a stroke recognized, diagnosed, and then getting the patient medically cared for within 3 hours, which is tough.

RECOGNIZING A S TROKE

Thank God for the sense to remember the '3' steps, STR . Read and Learn!

Sometimes symptoms of a stroke are difficult to identify. Unfortunately, the lack of awareness spells disaster. The stroke victim may suffer severe brain damage when people nearby fail to recognize the symptoms of a stroke.

STROKE:Remember the 1st Three Letters....S.T.R.

Now doctors say a bystander can recognize a stroke by asking three simple questions:

S *Ask the individual to SMILE.

T *Ask the person to TALK and SPEAK A SIMPLE SENTENCE (Coherently)

(i.e. It is sunny out today.)

R*Ask him or her to RAISE BOTH ARMS.

If he or she has trouble with ANY ONE of these tasks, call emergency numberimmediatelyand describe the symptoms to the dispatcher.

New Sign of a Stroke -------- Stick out Your Tongue

NOTE: Another 'sign' of a stroke is this: Ask the person to 'stick' out his tongue.. If the tongue is 'crooked', if it goes to one side or the other,that is also an indication of a stroke.

Thanks everyone. She's doing great, tired. Now on to the next(first)health issue, she was supposed to have a cancerous kidney removed this week but that got moved out approx a month. Thanks Bryce for the post, I was going to try to find something like that but hadn't yet.