$$@#%!!#$@*&^*^!!!! Rear diff half shafts.

HRH

I had forgotten just how much of a pain in the ass it is to remove a 510 differential. I just had cursing fun for an hour or more and finally got the damn halfshafts undone, managing to knock multiple clumps of mud/dirt onto the side of my head, in my ears. I took the diff out to transport down to the Datsun Guru's shop to swap the current 3.70 ratio to a 4.11 ratio.

Haven't searched yet, but has anyone done a flange on both sides of the u-joint halfshafts? Like how the D21 bolts to the differential with a flange plate. The other side is a splined slide in, but I was thinking as I was cursing, how nice it would be if all you had to do was unbolt 5 studs on each end and remove the shaft straight down.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

You don't want a flange on the diff side because of the independent suspension. that'd overcomplicate things that need to move back there. I hope you marked both sides of the flange, they only fit one way. Sorry it was a PITA, but anything drivetrain is gonna get'cha dirty right?