521 hubcap question

fisch

Allright I have two different sized stock looking wheels for my 521. Not sure which one is stock. So I am not sure what size a true chrome datto hubcap should be. I want to use the bigger wheel.

The bigger wheel looks like the dish goes outside of the spring clips and the other looks like the dish would fit inside the clips.

The bigger looks like the dish should be 9".

The smaller one, 8"

Can anyone measure their stock caps for me and/or tell me how they mount?

Rock on

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The truck came with a bed full of old wheels, and i might have one with these balls you mention. What I have 4 of are 16" X 7" (tire walls bulge to like 9 ") wheels without balls, but more like 'A' shaped retaining clips. I will try to shoot a pic.

Might they be Chevy?

Scott

The wheels with the "A" shaped retaining clips are still stock Datsun truck wheels, just from a different year. Could be a 620? I don't know what the particulars are to each year, but all the years had the same bolt pattern and more or less the same style rim with the three clips... the clips varied across years though. PCD was right though, the rims with the balls are the stock 521 rims, and only that one set of hubcaps was period correct. Then again, most of the wheels and hubcaps look pretty similar across the years, so you could probably get away with a different year unless you're doing a full resto.

Ok we're all getting an education on steel rims today!

Here is what I have 4 of. Are these 620? Looks like I would need 8.75" - 9" dog dishes for them. As you can see they have 6 'A' shaped retaining clips. I was wrong on the size as these are 15"X7".

IMG_4191.jpg

These must be stock 521 wheels, right? With the balls. These look like they need 9.75" dishes on them. They are 14". Sad, these are in the best shape, but I only have 2.

IMG_4189.jpg

I have two of these. the mounting clips are different. More like a '?' mark laid on its side. Any idea?

IMG_4190.jpg

And lastly, what the hell is this oddball? 4 lug, so it is an oddball among truck wheels.

IMG_4193.jpg

Hey guys I am looking at some whitewalls (the whitewalls are 5"!) It is a good price so far, but they are old school tubed tires. Never had a tubed tire. It it hard to get tubes? Pros/cons?

Here is some more info,

The size is 7.00x15inch tube type. They have a 1700lb rating @ 32PSI. The load range is B, the temp. is C, and the treadwear is 50. They are a 4ply Rayon.

The weight of a 621 is 2286 lbs. (I assume a 521 is close) with a payload of 1441 lbs., will the above tires 1700lb rating hold? Is the 1700lb listed in relation to the payload, or vehicle weight? Must be payload right? In which case I would be fine.

Here's the deal:

520, 521, and 620 wheels ALL have the balls on them, and they are ALL 14" wheels. Nissan didn't use a 15" or larger stock wheel on 2WD trucks until the (late) Hardbody. In fact, the only real difference until 1978 was slight offset changes- the wheels were 14x6, using 6.00PR14 bias ply tires. In '78 they widened the wheel a little, and Radials started showing up on some (but not all).

The 15" rims with clips are probably Chevy or Isuzu wheels. The 14" ones with clips could be Courier or Chevy LUV wheels. Nissan never used clips, just balls. On the 720, they did away with both and used wheel covers with the retainer built into the cover, not the wheel, except ones with just plastic center caps.

Tire weight ratings- that's weight per wheel. So 4 1700 lb rated tires are rated for and evenly-distributed 6800 lbs, far in excess of the vehicle gross weight. Basically, you want to make sure you don't exceed the rated capacity per axle (which is still 3400 lbs, far more than the trucks axle rating in the US).

Here's the deal:

520, 521, and 620 wheels ALL have the balls on them, and they are ALL 14" wheels. Nissan didn't use a 15" or larger stock wheel on 2WD trucks until the (late) Hardbody. In fact, the only real difference until 1978 was slight offset changes- the wheels were 14x6, using 6.00PR14 bias ply tires. In '78 they widened the wheel a little, and Radials started showing up on some (but not all).

The 15" rims with clips are probably Chevy or Isuzu wheels. The 14" ones with clips could be Courier or Chevy LUV wheels. Nissan never used clips, just balls. On the 720, they did away with both and used wheel covers with the retainer built into the cover, not the wheel, except ones with just plastic center caps.

Tire weight ratings- that's weight per wheel. So 4 1700 lb rated tires are rated for and evenly-distributed 6800 lbs, far in excess of the vehicle gross weight. Basically, you want to make sure you don't exceed the rated capacity per axle (which is still 3400 lbs, far more than the trucks axle rating in the US).

You are a knowlege vault Holic! Thanks!

I'm good for 8,808 lbs gross on my 620! The '78 rims were also wider for clearance on the 'new'front disc brakes.