Ratty McRatsun 521

fisch

Good to hear you finally got the wheels you wanted... I think they'd look pretty good in orange too. Are they the original ones you were looking at, with the 28" tires, or is it a different set?

And, more importantly, have you tried them on yet? :D I want to see an actual pic of these mounted...

And you could keep those caps, just bondo over the Chevy logo and spray-paint the D logo on them instead, unless you manage to find four 521 emblems somewhere...

Edit: BTW, lake pipes are the old-style racer exhaust pipes, right? The ones that run underneath the side of the truck with the caps on the end? What do they do? I always figured that you could take the caps off to bypass the muffler, but I was never sure...

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Are they the original ones you were looking at, with the 28" tires, or is it a different set?

And, more importantly, have you tried them on yet? :D I want to see an actual pic of these mounted...

And you could keep those caps, just bondo over the Chevy logo and spray-paint the D logo on them instead, unless you manage to find four 521 emblems somewhere...

QUOTE]

Orange it totally still an option. But I love that sun design so I will have to ponder it. Do the sun embelishment in black on orange?

So the ones pictured on my truck were over $600. I bid up to $575 but got out bid. They are back on the bay now. THey had rubber, but I'd guess it'd have to be replaced in a year or less. And had no caps. SO I found these a day later for $60 BIN (and they have a spare too!), but I had to pick them up 10 hrs round trip. Luckily I am on vacation in Indiana, and will be driving right by the owners location on my way back to MA. It is like it is fate. $60 vs. $600 and I have a little paint work ahead of me, but I have caps too! Feels like a score!

I think I will try to bondo and paint. then look for some Datsun emblems that I can epoxy to them. Hmmm orange painted caps sounds interesting too!

They're not on the truck yet. I will pick them up Sunday. Then I will see if I can have the patience to wait till I get new white walls or if a gotta slap them on there to see what they look like as is. These tires look to be 60 years old or so so I won't go driving it them!

Those wheels are cool. How wide are those bias ply tires?

The tread is a fat 5"! Ha! but bulge to 7" or so I hear. But I think the originals were about that wide, so I am cool with it!

I'd stay away from black and orange on the wheels. You could do either one, but both together would them look kind of Halloween-ey... it'd be like driving on four pumpkins.

The sun design was pretty interesting... if you really wanted to tie in the body you could keep the wheels black and do the sun in a red similar to you body. I suppose I just like to avoid using too many colours on anything... The truck is already red, so that's a major colour... you've got a fair bit of white on it already, so you ought to keep that... I say pick one more colour for the wheels and stick with that. Just my $0.02.

Those will give your 521 a totally different look which ive never seen before & look forward to ! Are they 14 or 15's? I know Coker tire sells the fat whitewalls & theres also the "inserts" that are much cheaper. I think they will look good painted the maroon thats on it now.

Are they 14 or 15's? I know Coker tire sells the fat whitewalls

They actually take 16 " tires and are 17" to the edge of the lip. I am looking a Coker and Diamondback radials. Wide white walls. Diamond back has one that will take me just over 26" overall, and that'll give me a little extra clearance.

They will hurt the wallet, but will be worth it! Will prolly be the most expensive thing I do to the truck for a long time!

i love the wheels, idk if i like the ratsun logo next to the oil drop logo... seems like too much to me, just my opinion. i was thinking of a similair size rim for my truck and with military style jeep tires, kind of skinny, kind of tall, kind of knobby... give a different look, that's for sure. looking forward to the military rims with the wide whites all mounted up, whatever color you decide.