high compression KA24DE

novita1021

okay i have my twin cam sitting out side waiting for me to work on it..heres the thing i have a s14 sr20det in my second 510..but i want instant throtle responce..so im thinking supercharged ka24de or high compression ka24de..im wanna make about 230-260 hp streetable..what would be my best bet here?

any ideas which would be cheaper and easier?

ppl have been saying high comp KA is a waste of cash that i should just do ka-t..but i think its played out..i think supercharged would be sweet cuz i love that wine it make when its on open throtle..but high comp revs like a motha..so yeah haha any ideas..

IMAG0039-2.jpg

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

11:1 comp breaks(or damn close) 200hp in a ka. Head work will determine how much on top of 200.

If not turbo I would go High comp. I know a few members are going KA-S but considering the hp/tq:$ ratio I don't think it's worth it.

I would do 11:1(Or more and groove the head) comp and itb on the cheap like from a gsxr. Looks good, sounds good and imho enough power for a DD dime. The engine is already a TQ monster, if you jack the comp up it's going to be even crazier.

I would say, it depends what your budget is and what you are using it for(track, daily driver?). High comp ka with those power numbers you want will take some good cash. If you want to get to those numbers, you will also need to add headers, cams, itb's, perhaps over sized valves, port polish and get in flow tested, standalone and a great tune, amongst other things. If you go that route, then might as well get rid of the maf and run a map. Fuel octane would also be another thing to consider. Would 93 octane do the trick?? I dunno. High comp sounds fun for track and race but not for street. Thats just my opinion though.

I have to agree that a NA KA would cost far too much to get 230hp out of. You can put minimal boost on these engines, and put out a fair amount of power just on stock internals from what I've read. If you get the right turbo, the lag is very small, some say unnoticeable. For the money that you're going to throw at this to make that much power NA, you would be better off putting a small turbo on, and putting 6-7psi of boost. Go check out ka-t.org. There's alot of info over there, and alot of smart people that have been working while these engines for a while.

How much of that SR would swap onto the DE? You can get a turbo exhaust manifold. Maybe some of the fuel maf/map, throttle body, injectors, sensors (w/e) could be grafted on? Or a MegaSquirt? Basically make a KA24DET.

A s/c would give instant throttle response and boost from idle up. But just added belt driven drag when not in use.

Wouldn't go high comp. for the street. Not enough gain.

Isn't it KA-R?

Typo

And for 230+hp I would agree it's too expensive to go n/a. My opinion was if breaking 200hp was sufficient. A high comp 200hp itb ka in a light car like a dime is just tones of fun.

If it's to be boost I can't think of a more expensive way to gain a couple lbs then sc.

How much of that SR would swap onto the DE? You can get a turbo exhaust manifold. Maybe some of the fuel maf/map, throttle body, injectors, sensors (w/e) could be grafted on? Or a MegaSquirt? Basically make a KA24DET.

The injectors and turbo is whats worth doing, the mani's are out, don't really need any or the sensors. Just buy a ecu tuned to the sr injectors turbo and n62 maf

thanks for the info and stuff the thing is i alrfeady have a turbo 510..so i want something different you know..try something new sorta say..i been thinking maybe just doing a side draft set up just idk where to get the mani and how to even go about it..if not also vg..how hard would vg30 be and would that get me to 230-260hp n/a? pretty shure it can right..

If you want a over 260 hp V6 and not have to do anything to it get the VG35DE or even better the new 370Z VG37DE or whatever its called, lol. Wont be cheap or extremely easy but if you have the money/time it would be pretty cool to have.

Your referring to the vq's

350z/g35 etc.. runs vq35de

370z/g37 run the vq37vhr

i been thinking maybe just doing a side draft set up just idk where to get the mani and how to even go about it

I love the idea of a carbed ka, much more on the side of "different" then a vg too. VG has been done as much as turbos have. If you have the money for a vq37vhr then by all means lol.

Most just weld up dcoe flanges to the stock cut intake mani and call it a day. There was a member a couple months ago with a motorcycle carbed ka in a corolla saying he was even running stock ignition. I don't think it gets any easier then that lol.

Here is that thread.

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/14383-cv-carbd-ka24de-ae86-corolla/

This looks like it's still for sale too, all be it over priced.

http://zilvia.net/f/sale-items/279905-ka24de-itb-induction-setup-45-webers-header-more.html

l_e3bffb9baed241538b2d27a4609fce1e.jpg

Like 72240z said, the main problem with a carbed KA is the ignition. On mine I am running a frankenstein distributor that will soon be replaced by Megajolt crank fire ignition. I know Troy Ermish does a conversion so you can run an El Dizzy with a KA. Also, a few months ago, Zumm510 posted a few pictures of him putting an El dizzy on a truck KA, which has a different distributor drive than the car KA. So yeah, there are ways to do it, you just have to do some research.

ive heard something about putting SOHC ka pistons from certian months 240s in DOHC raise compression to about 10:5 or something..

well i have the stock dizzy that wont work with like a MSD blaster coil?the sidedrafts i can get some 45s from a friend that has a but load of carbs..or my fried has a shop and he can fab up a intake mani for maybe a 4barrel holley carb or something..that would be sick!!some cams light wieht pullys and flywheel..would it be able to run on 91 pump?

im gonna tear it down when it stops raining here in LA lol..cheack the bearings and reseal the whole thing..if carb'ed i dont need all those crappy sensors do I.?cuz i also have some mechanical gauges im gonna use..

http://zilvia.net/f/chat/294661-my-supercharged-s13-ka.html

If you do the work yourself, find the parts you need for good deals instead of jumping on the first thing that comes along, and do an easy tune, you'll be around $800 or less for a M62 supercharged KA (minus cost of motorset).

I bought my first m62 for $100, SR20 injectors for $80... You'd need a tensioner for the boost pulley, adapter plate for the supercharger-to-intake manifold, tune (or SAFC for $150 or less, but I recommend a real tune), and an oil filter relocation as well as some misc piping and whatnot...

This kit with no belt slipping gets you 10psi.

10psi with a decent tune puts you between 230-250whp.

I've been too busy moving and working and school to finish mine, but I've got tons of info and pictures in my build thread.

Seems too easy to NOT do it!

A turbo with stock internals will get you around 200-250whp for $1000 at best.

N/A will cost TONS of money to keep it together with your power goal... Someone on Nico did a N/A build and got something like 230hp tops, with full head work, custom headers, modded intake, light/balanced internals and high comp, oversized pistons, etc... Just seems silly!!

• Like 1

haha thanks for the insperation..lol..i can probably spend 1200 on this..i already have the motor set..i have a set of sard 550cc injectors i can use..where did you find your blower/m62?and how much do they go for?do i have to stay/use with the xterra/frontier on or can i use cobra one or something else?

If you do the work yourself, find the parts you need for good deals instead of jumping on the first thing that comes along, and do an easy tune, you'll be around $800 or less for a M62 supercharged KA (minus cost of motorset).

I bought my first m62 for $100, SR20 injectors for $80... You'd need a tensioner for the boost pulley, adapter plate for the supercharger-to-intake manifold, tune (or SAFC for $150 or less, but I recommend a real tune), and an oil filter relocation as well as some misc piping and whatnot...

This kit with no belt slipping gets you 10psi.

10psi with a decent tune puts you between 230-250whp.

I've been too busy moving and working and school to finish mine, but I've got tons of info and pictures in my build thread.

Seems too easy to NOT do it!

A turbo with stock internals will get you around 200-250whp for $1000 at best.

N/A will cost TONS of money to keep it together with your power goal... Someone on Nico did a N/A build and got something like 230hp tops, with full head work, custom headers, modded intake, light/balanced internals and high comp, oversized pistons, etc... Just seems silly!!

Haha, running? It's not currently. I spun a rod bearing a couple of months ago so the engine had to come apart for new bearings. At the same time I am changing the tranny to a newer 240sx 5 speed. I hope to have it back on the road a few days from now though.

When it was running right the thing did scream though. There is nothing that sounds like twin side draft carbs on a big 4 cylinder.