Question about '77 280z and smog

oppo

Im interrested in buying a Datun 280z and have found a relatively cheap one, a 1977, that seems like it would be a nice match for me. It was a bit before my time but i have heard that buying a car around '76 or '77 can be a bad idea.

I heard that because the smog regulations were much more strict strict than before, cars of the era had problems with the ability to reduce smog and lacked horse power to comply with the new regulations. The car that i found does indeed pass smog regulations in California, but i was wondering where datsun fits in this issue and if there is anything i should watch out for/ find out before buying a car from this time?

Thanks

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A bones stock Z car is by no means a Z06 corvette, but it does alright for itself.

They're super easy to work on, reliable, and way better looking than anything these days once you get those absurd, giant bumpers off it.

Go for it.

I agree with all posts above me ! I am running p195-60-R14, R-200 Diff 3.90 gearing , 280z 5spd , L28(N42 head) dished pistons in my 73' 240z , and it is a fun grocery getter , but a lot more torque than a stock 240z ! Go for it ! The cars are easy to work on ! If your not sure than get a 240z , and swap L28/RB/V-8/V-6 guts into it ! ;) :D Then you can do what you want with out worry !

BTW , I can start off in second gear with the smaller tires , and no shutter or vibration issues ( shift at 2,500 rpm which is about 28 mph into third gear ) so it is more like a 4spd right now :rofl: ) Good Luck !

+1

The Z is a great and fun car, The late Z has all the best factory stuff already that gets swapped in the early cars.

just add early bumpers and front valance/grill so it looks a little better. (and sheds about 100 pounds)

L28e runs well and can be upgraded and still pass smog. and a 280ZX turbo can be swapped in and made legal with just a little work.

GO FOR IT!!!!! :P

your in san fransisco you will have to smog anything 76 and newer find somthing 75 or older or you will dread when smog comes around every 2 years ask me how i know

How do you know? im intterested to hear a new side. What do you think about some of the other things people have said?

How do you know? im intterested to hear a new side. What do you think about some of the other things people have said?

Its alot easier to get a pre-smog Z if you can, but if its in good mechanical order and all the smog stuff is still on and working (cat included) it should be fine.

I am curious what cars you have owned ? San Fran is a bit more progessively "green" advertising than most ?

I am a little unsure what to think now , are you worried about the emmisions coming out of the car ? or our cars ?

Your original question includes the words "datsuns" as a general statement not "280z's" , but you are talking about buying a specific 280z/ So are you looking at other types of cars or is this research for something else ?

Please prove me wrong , fill out your profile , occupation , and always #1 rule pictures !!! :D This way we all can help you a bit better fit your needs , and what issues to look for ! If you can take pictures of the car and list issues that would be even better ! :D

Thanks for your time !

DTP

P.S ( I apologize in advanced if I am wrong and skeptical :mellow: )

I am curious what cars you have owned ? San Fran is a bit more progessively "green" advertising than most ?

I am a little unsure what to think now , are you worried about the emmisions coming out of the car ? or our cars ?

Your original question includes the words "datsuns" as a general statement not "280z's" , but you are talking about buying a specific 280z/ So are you looking at other types of cars or is this research for something else ?

Please prove me wrong , fill out your profile , occupation , and always #1 rule pictures !!! :D This way we all can help you a bit better fit your needs , and what issues to look for ! If you can take pictures of the car and list issues that would be even better ! :D

Thanks for your time !

DTP

P.S ( I apologize in advanced if I am wrong and skeptical :mellow: )

Im just worried about how much maintenance it would require to have a 280z made after 1976. I'm looking to either buy a 240z or 280z. The questions in the later half of my post refer to the 280z that i mentioned i was interested in, since i knew there would be no problem regarding smog if i were to buy a 240z.

"Please prove me wrong , fill out your profile , occupation , and always #1 rule pictures !!! :D This way we all can help you a bit better fit your needs , and what issues to look for ! If you can take pictures of the car and list issues that would be even better !" -- im going to assume this is irrelevant?

The 280Z will pass the test no problem as long as it's in good running order to begin with.

the FI is a copy of the Bosch L jetronic system, a good system for its time.

yes to pass the visual inspection you'll need a CAT and the other systems that the car came with.

but a High flow cat, and and some basic porting ETC. will improve performance.

you should have very few problems with reliability issues passing smog.

and as I said, the 280 came with all the good stuff,

L28, most are 5sp, R-200, larger fuel tank, better interior

just ditch the bumpers for some early versions.

i had a 76 610 i had to smog it every 2 years at a test only shop the car had to be 100% timing spot on a/f ratio had to be perfect cat had to be new egr had to be cleaned every 2 years and it usually consisted of atleast 3 runs before it was perfect i live an hour east of san fransisco noq with a smog z its a little better cause of the efi bet everything still has to be spot on and any mods that net mor hp will be an instant fail eather it wont blow clean or it will fail visual so you have to keep the drivetrain 100% stock cali smog is a bitch