Identifying pistons

Nissan_Boy85

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The length between the center line of the big and small ends will identify them. Take the rod cap off and stand the rod up on a flat surface and measure up to the center of the piston pin hole. You should easily be able to measure within a mm or two.

The Z20 came in two lengths 152.5mm and 149.5mm (same as the L20B rod)

The Z24 and the KA24E were the same length at 165mm. But the piston pin end of the KA rod * has a bronze? insert to allow a floating piston pin, plus there is an oil hole in the top*. See below:

(*applies to car motors only)

720stuffKA24Epistonrod007Large.jpg

KA24E rod on left and Z24 rod on right. Note the Z24 rod is thicker and stronger looking.

720stuffKA24Epistonrod010Large-1.jpg

If 89mm and marked STD, they should be KA pistons. 20b are 85, Z22 are 87. Pretty sure I remember KAs being 89mm. Could also be Z24.

Take a picture, post it up, probably will be easy to tell by casting differences.

KA and Z24 pistons are virtually the same having only the piston dish different. The KA24E dish is 2.8cc of volume. The Z24 dish is 15cc volume.

Left to right Z24, Z22(S), Z20E, L20B pistons. A KA has almost no dish in the top.

motorpistonsL20BZ20EZ22SZ24007La-1.jpg

Look like Z24 to me, but hold on, I have a set of Z24 and KAs in the garage. Let me get the camera, back in a second.

[EDIT] Sorry, forgot to scale them down for a second!

Okay, here we go:

KA pistons:

kapiston1.jpg

kapiston2.jpg

kapiston3.jpg

Z24 pistons:

z24pistons.jpg

Nice ggzilla! It looks like those pistons have been polished, there isn't any webbing on the sides. I'm thinking someone did that afterwards, that it wasn't a stock finish for a Z24 piston?

NOT a KA piston. There are no 'C' clips holding the piston pin in. Could be Z24..

IMG_0406.jpg

Mmm don't see the 'C' clip here either. Matt??? Nevermind, the truck KA didn't have the floating pins. These are D-21 pistons. The 240sx had the 'C'clips. Did not know. :D

kapiston1.jpg

Hmm, it's possible the ring lands are screwed up. Have you tried rolling the edge of the ring all around the outside to see if it drops in on some spots, and not on others? One of the pistons I had in my overheated Z22 had that happen. The ring was actually trapped in the lands. It would spin, but had to be yanked out.

Mike: Yep, don't have any car stuff, only D21 stuff. Didn't know that about the pins, though.

Hmm, it's possible the ring lands are screwed up. Have you tried rolling the edge of the ring all around the outside to see if it drops in on some spots, and not on others? One of the pistons I had in my overheated Z22 had that happen. The ring was actually trapped in the lands. It would spin, but had to be yanked out.

Mike: Yep, don't have any car stuff, only D21 stuff. Didn't know that about the pins, though.

Hah, I love it! Always nice to learn something.

Not a day goes by I don't learn something!

Nissanboy, take a pair of dial calipers and measure that gap. Wait a minute, I'm just remembering isn't the 20b ring land 2,2,4 and the Z pistons 1.5,1.5,4? I think that's right. Anyway, measure that top ring land and see what you come up with. For mm 25.4 mm = 1 inch.

Damn, I don't have our engine parts catalog at home. I have a bunch of others, but those are the few that usually aren't tossed out. When you say 1.5 and 2, do you mean the top compression ring is 1.5 and the lower 2? Then 4 for the oil control? If so, that's rather odd.

• 11 years later...