got the Gearbox down.....now how to put it back!

paradoxx

Hey everyone, last yesterday we had a Nissan/Datsun meet at a local track, when I get there I started to hear very strange sound on the gearbox. As I know that these boxes are good, I did participate on the time attack and a couple of 1/8 passes.

The sound was generated the most when I went in reverse. Today I pulled down the gb and inspected and nothing was wrong on the internals. When I was pulling out the old retainer I figured out that the extension bushing has a little crack, so I realized that that could be the origin of the sound, when the loosen bushing starts to turn around inside the gb tip. Where can I find this part and how to change it? Do I have to disassemble or can it be pulled without disassembling it?

And the most important question of all........whats the secret for putting the gb back on? I know that has to come up a little bit sideways but I dont know in which direction. Help!

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would think the rear tailstock would have to come off to get at it. Then a suitable drift could be used to drive it out. If the case is worn a new one may do the same. Perhaps the soft aluminum could be scored with a chisel or punch so that the new bushing will be forced in and fit tighter???? I'm guessing from cross section pictures of the stock trannys.

Installing the tranny? Remove the rear mount to the body tunnel and lift up into place. Hold up while bolting the mount back in.???

Installing the tranny? Remove the rear mount to the body tunnel and lift up into place. Hold up while bolting the mount back in.???

So you dont have to put it a little bit sideways to make it fit? because I have some problems with the starter housing part that bumps me in the tunnel. I will just recover my strength on my arms and try again :D

Tilt the engine a little to the rear, and that will help you gain clearance to put the transmission back on the engine. If you get some bolts that thread into the engine to transmission bolt holes, and cutting the heads off, you can make some guide pins that will help you put the transmission on straight and it will go on much easier.

Tilt the engine a little to the rear, and that will help you gain clearance to put the transmission back on the engine. If you get some bolts that thread into the engine to transmission bolt holes, and cutting the heads off, you can make some guide pins that will help you put the transmission on straight and it will go on much easier.

To Start Take with take the starter off before installing transmission. ( makes life easier )

(1) DanielC has very good thoughts , follow these ( may need to loosen motor mounts just a bit ? )

(2) Make sure you clean , lube splines , and pilot /bushing/bearing before going back in.

(3) You can also strap the tranny to some wood ( carv a hole for the jack piece or find a good method to wrap around jack top platform which I do ) , wrap it tight with some motorcycle type straps (ratcheting straps) , and then strap to the top of your jack. ( I bought a tranny jack from harbor freight , and I still strap the tranny down with motorcycle straps ) I know this sounds stupid , but it works great ! you can just strap it too the jack but a little wood provides a base and will not mark up the casing !

(4) Get a buddy , He Ho He Ho , and it goes soooo much quicker if you don't have tools to spare , one holds tranny , while other threads in and tightens enough bolts to make safe !

(5) I guess if all else fails , lift up tranny , and slide blocks underneath each time to raise to desired height , but you still will need to angle it in so buy a buddy lunch and get errrrr done !

I have never done a 510 , and these are just general guidelines to follow.

get a jack with a piece of wood and put it under your front pulley and make the motor tilt back, then if you re lucky u can find one of those motorcycle jacks, they work good on the tranny if not lay under the car and lift the front of the tanny as close as u can up till the shaft is in the spline of the motor you will have to twist and turn the tranny till it pops into place if you get tired use a jackstand to rest the tail end of the tranny on while u let ur chest and arms rest.. ive done it like 3 times in the last 2 months in my 510.

Edited by bigjoe619
  • 3 weeks later...

To Start Take with take the starter off before installing transmission. ( makes life easier )

(1) DanielC has very good thoughts , follow these ( may need to loosen motor mounts just a bit ? )

(2) Make sure you clean , lube splines , and pilot /bushing/bearing before going back in.

(3) You can also strap the tranny to some wood ( carv a hole for the jack piece or find a good method to wrap around jack top platform which I do ) , wrap it tight with some motorcycle type straps (ratcheting straps) , and then strap to the top of your jack. ( I bought a tranny jack from harbor freight , and I still strap the tranny down with motorcycle straps ) I know this sounds stupid , but it works great ! you can just strap it too the jack but a little wood provides a base and will not mark up the casing !

(4) Get a buddy , He Ho He Ho , and it goes soooo much quicker if you don't have tools to spare , one holds tranny , while other threads in and tightens enough bolts to make safe !

(5) I guess if all else fails , lift up tranny , and slide blocks underneath each time to raise to desired height , but you still will need to angle it in so buy a buddy lunch and get errrrr done !

I have never done a 510 , and these are just general guidelines to follow.

I haven't done a Datsun yet either(knock on wood), but in my experience with other rigs.. yes a friend to help start threads and manipulate angle of trans/engine is very nice indeed... but a trans jack or even a floor jack can take away a lot of frustration along with a few long socket extensions (say enough to get the ratchet into a workable position behind the trans, sometimes plus transfer case). Sit back and relax while you work, sort of.