1600 roadster. Big man in a small car?

Phirus

I'm about 6'4" and 240 pounds and someone just gave me a 1600.

Should I bother to keep it or will it be to uncomfortable?

I've rode around in a triumph spitfire without a problem and it's pretty damned small.

Any personal experiences?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm about 6'4" and 240 pounds and someone just gave me a 1600.

Should I bother to keep it or will it be to uncomfortable?

I've rode around in a triumph spitfire without a problem and it's pretty damned small.

Any personal experiences?

Ah! Triumph Spitfire. Reminds of the time a bunch [to be explained] of us were pulled over by a cop while riding a spitfire. Quote, "There are 6 of you! I expect 2 in the buckets. A third siting on the drive shaft tunnel is personally OK. I can even overlook the 2 of you sitting on the ragtop with your legs over the shoulders of the 2 in the bucket seats, but GET THAT S.O.B. OUT OF THE TRUNK, and tell him to get his head off the rear bumper!"

:lol: same for my Z but meh, not at the top of my list of worrys.

Iv been told constantly Im going to die in that thing and I just tell them it would be a fitting death :fu:

Dibs on Parts :lol: then strap your body to the hood ( Mad Max style warning to other datto owners ) :lol: vvvvooooooooooooommmmmmmmmmmm :fu: ( or put body in the passenger seat so I can roll in the car pool lane :cool: :lol: )

Hey Phirus , I never ridden in a Datsun Roadster , my buddy is 6'3" and fits ok in my 240z , ( he digs driving the car , but said he would not drive for more than 40 minutes in it or so ? ) Just a thought :)

someone gave you a roadster and you are worried about being uncomfortable?????????????? i would be driving the crap out of that and smileing all along the way.

lots of headroom even with the top up. your only problem might be getting in under the steering wheel. a smaller wheel fixes that. spend three or four hundred on a nice steering wheel and enjoy the ride. i am a little short fat guy, so if you decide to get rid of it, call me first. i know that i can get in it with no problems.

It hasn't been drove or even cranked in 5 years.

It has the dual side draft carbs with the breathers and oil and shit (totally lost on what to do)

Can anyone guide me through how to tune the carbs and get this bitch on the road?

http://www.311s.org/pmwiki-311/pmwiki.php?n=TechSection.KeithsNewSuTech

Though ratsun is a good place for trucks and 510's our roadster section is a little lacking. http://www.311s.org is everything roadster you'll ever need and plus some.

Welcome to the Datsun cars with a frame club as well.

As for parts two sources for the most part I know of:

http://www.datsunparts.com/

http://www.datsunroadster.com/

It hasn't been drove or even cranked in 5 years.

It has the dual side draft carbs with the breathers and oil and shit (totally lost on what to do)

Can anyone guide me through how to tune the carbs and get this bitch on the road?

Just whatever you plan don't try to use starting fluid , better to rebuild carbs , refresh parts to get the thing running like you plan too and it deserves. ( starting fluid ruined 3 diesel motors at my work by drying up the rings , washing down the oil , and rasping the cylinder walls , after several uses for a few months ! ) Tech that pushed in new new cylinder sleeves in all 3 diesel motors had wide eyes too when I told him shamefully what we had been using ! He agreed 100% ( we are talking a semi-truck that was COMPLETLEY RUINED after running a little starting fluid over a few short months span period ) Tech recommended WD-40 for Diesel Cold Start Fluid ONLY IF NEEDED ( since it lubes ) ohhhhh buy the way these were fleet maintenanced trucks !

Just whatever you plan don't try to use starting fluid , better to rebuild carbs , refresh parts to get the thing running like you plan too and it deserves. ( starting fluid ruined 3 diesel motors at my work by drying up the rings , washing down the oil , and rasping the cylinder walls , after several uses for a few months ! ) Tech that pushed in new new cylinder sleeves in all 3 diesel motors had wide eyes too when I told him shamefully what we had been using ! He agreed 100% ( we are talking a semi-truck that was COMPLETLEY RUINED after running a little starting fluid over a few short months span period ) Tech recommended WD-40 for Diesel Cold Start Fluid ONLY IF NEEDED ( since it lubes ) ohhhhh buy the way these were fleet maintenanced trucks !

I shoot some MMO into any unran engine and let sit a while before I try to fire it, little hard to get the first fire but I don't have much issue with rings or such

I never use starting fluid.

Sometimes I'll use the lawnmower technique (little bit of gas from a bendy straw straight into the cylinder through spark plug hole, good way to check if it's getting fuel)

I go through a lot of cars that have sat for years and I eventually get them cranked with a little tweaking then after running a couple shots of carb cleaner and it's ready to roll.

Marvel Mystery Oil IS THE SHIT! http://www.marvelmysteryoil.com/ If you have something thats sat so long it froze up just fill the cylinders with this shit and it will clean it up in a week or two, get a torque wrench on the front pully and hope for the best.

BTW If anyone has ever owned a 1967 Cadillac ElDorado with original fwd 429 please let me know or if you know of any good forums please link them for me THANKSYOUS!

Ahaha Foxy just read you post and I assume MMO is marvel mystery oil so you can back me up on my statement lol

Edited by Phirus
above post

clean the gas tank out and flush the lines. and i would get the brakes working first, because you might be tempted to drive it, if you get it running. and i would get the car up on jack stands, and inspect the frame rails for rust, before sinking alot of money into the car. the best mod for the money that i did to mine, was replacing the old worn out distributor, for a new one with electronic ignition. it made a huge difference on the performance, from idle to redline. parts for these don't come cheap. but the joy of owning and getting to drive one makes it all worthwhile. i never get mine out, without someone wanting to look it over. and the thumbs up from folks while your cruising down the hiway always makes me smile, and nod back. good luck with it, and 311.org is the best site for help. very sharp and friendly folks will be glad to help.

I never use starting fluid.

Sometimes I'll use the lawnmower technique (little bit of gas from a bendy straw straight into the cylinder through spark plug hole, good way to check if it's getting fuel)

I go through a lot of cars that have sat for years and I eventually get them cranked with a little tweaking then after running a couple shots of carb cleaner and it's ready to roll.

Marvel Mystery Oil IS THE SHIT! http://www.marvelmysteryoil.com/ If you have something thats sat so long it froze up just fill the cylinders with this shit and it will clean it up in a week or two, get a torque wrench on the front pully and hope for the best.

BTW If anyone has ever owned a 1967 Cadillac ElDorado with original fwd 429 please let me know or if you know of any good forums please link them for me THANKSYOUS!

Ahaha Foxy just read you post and I assume MMO is marvel mystery oil so you can back me up on my statement lol

Of course it is! :lol: I also mix a little into my gas on my vw to help with carbon and lubrication in the fuel as they frown on me pulling up to the leaded pumps for tractors.