1967 520 and a 240z motor

65dodge

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you want to do a swap and get more hp go with a 4 cyl L series like an L20b or an new 4cyl like the KA24 or SR20det. All plenty capable of over 100hp and much much higher and require only a small amount of fab work.

with the amount of work its going to take to fit an L24 in there and get ~100hp you might as well drop in a SBC instead

Welcome and Let Er' rip ! ! ! I seem to remember years ago on either this forum or the "old" one, a truck with an inline 6. It seems that I remember the radiator was mounted in the bed. BLEACH????? You remember that one? Anyway, good luck. Where are You located?

Putting a L-6 into a 520/521 is a really crappy swap. The motor doesn't even remotely fit. If you use the stock motor mount locations not only will you be cutting the firewall, but you can't fit a radiator anymore either. So the option then is to hack DEEP into the cab, keeping in mind the whole intake manifold will have to go in too. Plus you'll be moving the tranny crossmember, and shortening the driveshaft. So you end up with a truck that's hacked up bad, weighs too much in the nose, and is still slow. Your "free" engine swap will end up costing you a lot of money by the time your done. So if you're willing to do all that work, you may as well put in something a lot better than an L24. Even a chevy 350 is a LOT easier to fit in one of those, because it's shorter than the L-6

Your "free" engine swap will end up costing you a lot of money by the time your done. So if you're willing to do all that work, you may as well put in something a lot better than an L24. Even a chevy 350 is a LOT easier to fit in one of those, because it's shorter than the L-6

:lol: thats what I said lol

With all the people cutting up their 510s to fit intercoolers and the associated piping, and the 520 being worth less than a 510... why the fuck not.

Move one cylinder behinde the firewall, cut the core support so a radiator can be push closer to the grill. It'll fit. Through in the 240z rear suspension. Sounds like fun. Don't expect the 50/50 weight distribution the 240z had though, but if you look at a certain other 520 build, it is possible to get close... but with the straight 6, you'll need some ballast I'm sure.

With all the people cutting up their 510s to fit intercoolers and the associated piping, and the 520 being worth less than a 510... why the fuck not.

Move one cylinder behinde the firewall, cut the core support so a radiator can be push closer to the grill. It'll fit. Through in the 240z rear suspension. Sounds like fun. Don't expect the 50/50 weight distribution the 240z had though, but if you look at a certain other 520 build, it is possible to get close... but with the straight 6, you'll need some ballast I'm sure.

Put the Rad. in the bed.

intake will still be in the way of the master cyl. etc.:(

maybe a VG30 and transaxle from a Maxima in the bed.....

oh damn, now I need another truck, and a doner maxima..:D:lol::D

Edited by greybeard

all the above is mostly true. yes the intake manifold will be close to the master cylinder, yes the nose will be hevier, yes you will have to cut into the fire wall, yes you will need to move trans cross bar and shorten the drive shaft. Now I bought my 521 for 300 bucks, i now have over60 times that. it all adds up and i'm sure i'm forgetting something. but in the end you will have a one of a kind. put it this was I also have a 1998 mustang cobra (stock)i raced my truck against it with my brother driving the cobra, it was a door to door race up to 100mph. It's cheaper to buy a fast car then to build one. Just not as fun. It's your truck, time, and money, have fun with it