Nice 1972 truck

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Very nice but not the price. Don't understand the 3.70 gears. The stock 4.88s would get 'into' the turbo way quicker. Even the 4.375s from an L16 would be better. Got the o/d 5spd to make up for it.

The 521 has the lines for two tone. Not sure if the 620 would look right with it's lower line that arches over each wheel well.

You generally want taller gears for a turbo car. They have far more midrange torque so you want to use that torque. But of course I see this generally on a 300-500hp turbo Z (vs only 150-250hp NA)

An old L18 turbo (probably carbed) would be lucky to have 150 flywheel hp. 4.375 or 4.11 would be perfect. I think a 72 even came stock with an L16 and 4.375

4.88 is 1969 and older, right? :blink:

the price looks very reasonable

It says a modle 1300 so assuming the J13 engine and those, plus I checked the year, and pretty sure they came with 4.88s. Yeah, for a larger more powerfull set up 3.70 would work better. For an L 18 ... let her scream!

the price looks very reasonable

I think the price is VERY reasonable when you consider the amount of work, time and effort.. not to mention parts, paint, etc. that went into this thing. Of course it's not a 620.. but to each his own. :D

Yup I would have caughed up this much cash for this. If it were on this side of the country when I was shopping.

The only thing I could find in New England was the 521 I bought. Which I would easily have to spend that much $ on to get it up to the standards of the 521 in the listing.

Hell what's the paint alone on that rig cost?

Hell what's the paint alone on that rig cost?

I paint my own, but when you add prep materials and then the actual primer and paint I'm usually into it for a little over $600. Now if I was to take it to somebody you could begin with $1200 and go up from there.

• 1 month later...

Er... two different generations of the truck... actually, even the 520 and the 521 had differences...

Take a look in the picture thread in the "trucks" forum... you'll get an idea of everything from the 521's to 720's and even one or two 320's...

Whats the difference between a 520/521 and a 620?

The 520 had single headlights and the 521 had duals, I believe. They were both rather boxy to look at with squared corners but appealing, in a '510 El Camino' sort of way.:D:D:D In '72 1/2 the 620 was introduced and ran through '79, with probably the most beautifully curved body ever put on a Datsun or Nissa truck. And, NO, I'm not biased.

Ok, as far as I can tell, there are several differences between the 520's and the 521's... this is what I figure:

First off, the 520 is the older body style, so to me it looks a little older overall... just a vibe about the body. Maybe more curves, maybe in different places, I don't know, but you can tell there's something different about it.

Looking at the picture above, the 521's don't seem to have as much "lip" over the headlights/grille. The 521 grille is one horizontal strip at both the top and bottom, and three in the middle, with a bigger gap between the top and 2nd strips, and the 4th and bottom ones. The 521's also had a separate grille and headlight surrounds. There seems to be a bit more of a gap between the bottom of the grille and the bumper on the 521's, and they had two wide cut-outs between the grille and bumper, with the turn indicators set to either side of the cut-outs, under the headlights. The marker lights on the 521's were separate units on the side of the fender... plain reflectors in the early years, and actual lights in the later years. The 521's had the same stance, but the tops of the fenders were narrower and the hood was wider. The hood also had a long, thin recess running from the emblem back to the cowl, whereas the hood above has a larger, rectangular recess.

I think that if you compare a stock 521 to a stock 520, the 521 looks a bit more aggressive... The 520 seems to look more tame in comparison, at least to me. Then again, both seem to look take next to a "Bulletside"...

I still vote 521 though.

Hmm... now that I compare the picture above to my truck, I can also see that the little "fins" on either side of the front fenders are different between the two models... on the one above, they continue straight forward and down until they intersect the body line at the edge of the hood and seem to sort of disappear. On the 521, the front of the fenders is smoother and doesn't have the same body line, so the fins continue down until an couple inches above the headlights, then curve in to create the front of the hood...

those stock wheels are chillin' in my garage. I'm looking to do a 6-lug swap on the Fairlady Z so I can run 14" steel wheels... :D

Now that would be interesting to see!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.