Does anyone know anything about Cadillacs?

We have a 2000 cadillac deville 32v northstar in our shop right now and i cant figure out what the hell is wrong with it!

It has 205,XXX miles on it. Its 1 of a fleet for a limo service so if we can get this one running there's a possibility we can get the whole fleet in here!

Symptoms:

Cranks but wont start

Cranking with full throttle it wants to start

There is a loud squeak while cranking

Intake smells like fuel

No codes concerning the problem (only chassis and body)

Temp gauge at operating temp but engine is cold (Tell me if this is a problem)

40 psi at fuel rail

So far i've come up with a list of things that could be wrong.

Fuel Pressure Regulator (No fuel in the vacuum line)

Coolant Temp Sensor (Major problem for other vehicles)

Bad Coils

I do not know how to check for spark on this vehicle. Its coil on plug. I did pull the spark plugs and they look like they have never been changed (AC Delco)

This might be a bit of a stretch for you guys (It is for me) but maybe, just maybe.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

40psi is max prime? Does it fall when cranking? Does it fall over time? If so how much. Does it want to start more so with starter fluid?

The field way to check spark on a coil is to just pull out the coil and stick a plug in there, if it fires you have spark. You can arc out a screw driver in there too.

It's the coolant temp gauge reading wrong and not the HTS correct?

My all data says thats max prime, there is a difference. Max prime would mean you may need to turn the key more then once to reach said psi.

It shouldn't fall more then 10psi in 10min from max psi and at 10psi it shouldn't fall more then 2 psi in 10 min.

i've found that we're getting the propper fuel pressure at the rail. When its cranking it seems like its not getting spark but if you full throttle it when your cranking it will sputter and almost start for about 5 seconds and then its back to seeming like it doesn't have spark... ill test the coils and see what happens. The plugs are horrible so im guessing they never keep up on servicing their fleet.

ok yeah for sure getting spark.... that hurt like a son of a bitch.

Strange thing though, i pulled the front bank of coil packs and now it wants to start without it being a full throttle. In fact it idled for a split second....

EDIT: It runs without the front bank of coil packs.......

Im really sorry man. I really didnt mean to.

The digital gauge on the dash says its at operating temp (right in the middle)

I didn't check the fuel pressure, another mechanic did who went home for the night but he ruled out Low fuel pressure.

Edited by Madness

came in on a tow truck.

As far as i know, The security wont even let it crank if thats the problem.

What is WOT?

Way back i had a gti that had a bad temp sensor and it would make it run rich. I would have to floor it to get it started. Maybe the problem but on a much more severe scale...

Wide Open Throttle

At first I was gonna ask if the exhuast was clogged, but the it runs when you removed parts. If the plugs were never changed then none of the other parts are. Check to see how long the packs are supposed to last, might just need a new set, aka a good ol' "tune-up".

if not the cam position sensor it has to be fuel pressure(can you hear the pump run when switch is turned on?) 40lbs is not enough and if the owners havent kept up the matience check fuel filter as it may be dirty and whle you have the fuel filter off check pressure there

Powertrain Codes

P1571 - Traction Control Torque Request Circuit

Network Codes

U1000 - Class 2 Communication Malfunction

Chassis Codes

C1277 - Requested Torque Signal Circuit Malfunction

Body Codes

B0429 - Temperature Control #3 Rear Circuit Range/Performance

crank angle sensor maybe...... also try disconecting the mass airflow sensor plug..... if it runs unplugged then its sending out false readings that the ecu cant detect. When unplugged and running the fault code will suddenly pop up.... GM computers arent very smart. Ford had a similar issue in the 90s with 4.6s in the mustangs