Does anyone know anything about Cadillacs?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Im really sorry man. I really didnt mean to.

The digital gauge on the dash says its at operating temp (right in the middle)

I didn't check the fuel pressure, another mechanic did who went home for the night but he ruled out Low fuel pressure.

I had a female barking in my ear sorry I was short with you.....

I asked because to check the pump there is more then just the max prime which is the reading you have from the previous mech. A faulty pump can prime fine but fail the hold test, either the 10psi or the max psi hold test, sometimes both. It's also a way to check stuck/leaking injectors if you clamp the fuel feed/return. If you have spark that's what I would check.

Just about all the sensors listed like the crank and cam angle sensors will throw a code but more over on that motor the engine will start even if they are bad. It's good to check but again if you have spark I'd focus on fuel. Bad ecms happen but its unlikely.

The corn smell is odd, so is it starting when you removed the front coils.

holds a solid 40 psi when cranking

with the key on it will drop 5psi in 20 sec.

We have quite a few gas stations in the area that have E85 (yellow pumps). Not to long ago we had a king ranch powerstroke come in with 40 gal. of e85 in the tank. Maybe the dude was just dumb and picked the wrong pump?

Edited by Madness

so here are my new questions:

Why is it running when all 4 front spark plugs are pulled?

Why am i not getting any codes at all when the OBD2 reader is hooked up?

Why does the intake smell of E85 after cranking?

The plugs are covered in fuel. There is a strong mist coming out of the open spark plug holes when its cranking and running. The oil now smells of fuel (cylinder wash).

The coil packs being pulled allowing the engine to run is odd but 40psi and loosing 5psi in 30sec is super fail on 2 sep tests.

I would really test the fall rate at max prime and at 10psi but 10min time frames then do the max test again with the feed/return clamped. If it's not the pump it's def on it's last breath.

Have you tried spraying starter fluid in there to see if it aids starting or not?

after about 2 days of trying to figure out what the hell was wrong with this thing, our tow truck driver came into the shop and said, "Bet its the cat" like he says every time a vehicle wont start. For shits and grins we broke loose the 4 bolts holding the can on and she fired right up....

I guess if you guess the same thing every time its bound to be true eventually.

Cats don't plug for no reason. I agree with the statement that the fuel pump is on it's last leg too. It really shouldn't leave without a tune-up. If they don't allow you to correct the cause of the failure they'll be replacing that new cat pretty soon. If it's part of a fleet it'll be cheaper for them to pay you now while it's out of regular rotation rather than when it breaks down again. "Pay a little now or alot later". Glad you found the reason it won't run.