4-Rotor Insanity

Have you guys seen this?

700HP @ 9000RPM!!!! And for all the "but does it have torque" guy, ~450Ft/lbs @ 6500RPM.

That's frikken animal right there. I want one!

~Brian

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

that is insane... there's a long ass video on youtube or something of the 787b, the only rotary lemans car every built, the only 4 rotor built from mazda's factory. that thing sounded insane. i think it was a video of the auction where it was sold... and that silver fd made by "scoot" is a 4 rotor, supposedly the first 4 rotor ever built after the 787b that actually worked. that car is insane anyway... good stuff.

edit: 787b video.. also a 4 rotor:

450foot pounds is pretty low torque for a 700hp engine and peak torque is at 6500 rpm? Typical rotory.

If it really had torque it would be 670 foot pounds at 4000 rpm :D

True...BUT...those numbers are for a 2.6l 4cyl.. C'mon now. I wish whoever posted that FD had included the run time, but judging that launch and the blur, it was definitely a sub-10sec 1/4mi..

~Brian

you guys keep calling it a 4 cylinder... it's not a 4 cylinder. that's why in drag racing the rotories are not in the 4cyl classes. even tho it might displace the same as some of the 4 cyl it's a totally different engine and cant be compared to a traditional piston engine. from wikipedia.org : "While a four-stroke piston engine makes one combustion stroke per cylinder for every two rotations of the crankshaft, each combustion chamber in the Wankel generates one combustion stroke per each driveshaft rotation. Thus, power output of a Wankel engine is generally higher than that of a four-stroke piston engine of similar engine displacement in a similar state of tune and higher than that of a four-stroke piston engine of similar physical dimensions and weight. "

Wankel_Cycle_anim_en.gif

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wankel_engine

Well, at least its fast. My friend is into Rx-7's and his 1984 1.3L rotory is slow. He talks about it being so fast but my 280zx NA wasted it.

I rode in it with him. NO torque and just a little bit of power but you had to be above 6000 rpm. They do rev high. I suppose a turbo rotory would be pretty good.

Icehouse says a turbo Rx7 is overrated. He seemed to think my Z was quick though... so a stock NA Z might be faster than the 3rd gen turbo Rx7?

also, my friend says his 1.3L Rx7 gets 20mpg at best. My 280ZX always got better than that.

i'm assuming that's why the twin turbo third gen was the best one? it makes sense that they have no torque, if you think about it, the reason they're so smooth is the same reason they have no torque. that reciprocating piston is the reason for that kind of engine producing tq. idk how the new gen engines are tho. i've heard that the rotary in the rx8 is supposed to be amazing. but idk... don't care about em enough to try and drive one.

nature's proof that the spirograph was a cool toy: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spirograph_Nebula