521 diff width same as a goon?

Datzenmike whaere ya at buddy? Is the 521 diff the same width as a 510 wagon? If so I'm on a hunt for one for my goon before I start welding brackets on my goon axle. I will redrill the the 521 axles to 4 lug. Turn the flange center to fit zx rotors or maybe run the beebani kit? And call it a day maybe swap the pinion flange if I have to. I really don't want broken goon axles.

Edited by jesusno2
  • Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The wagon diff is pretty stout, but from what I've read, the 521 axle had beefier shafts, or splines or something... the gearing might be different, too. 3.90 gearing is decent, but something closer to a 4.11 with the KA would be nice to get the most out of the low end grunt.

The why not just change out the 3rd member? Yes, the 521 axles are somewhat larger and splined different, but I don't se you making enough power to break the wagon ones with a KA. You would have to change out the side gears though, due to the spline differences if you went solely with the 3rd member change.

The 521 one will be a 4.889 or 4.375 depending on year. Which is great for off the line performance but it'll rev out the KA in a hurry. Typically with the KA's better bottom torque you WANT the lower numerical gear ratio for streetability.

The why not just change out the 3rd member? Yes, the 521 axles are somewhat larger and splined different, but I don't se you making enough power to break the wagon ones with a KA. You would have to change out the side gears though, due to the spline differences if you went solely with the 3rd member change.

The 521 one will be a 4.889 or 4.375 depending on year. Which is great for off the line performance but it'll rev out the KA in a hurry. Typically with the KA's better bottom torque you WANT the lower numerical gear ratio for streetability.

my buddy Pat has broke wagon axles with a L18 (more than once) and completly destroyed one with a non-turbo SR. The wagon axles are 23 spline and the truck is 29 i think not to mention the O.D. of the truck axle is way bigger... And you can get an LSD or locker for the Trucks :D

Yes datsun car rearends are weak I've seen axle broken many times on midget cars and pull cars. Its just as easy to swap a diff then the carrier for me at this point I'm not going to have leaf springs etc. Plus a whoile diff would be easyer to obtain then axles I'm sure. I'm a cheap bastard and will prolly have at least one welded diff. And that would break goon axles very fast