standard pattern shorty 5 speed?

http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/pts/1451966405.html

This guy is claiming that he has a non dogleg short shaft 5 speed for L series. I have never heard of such a beast. It needs to be repaired but I would love to get it and fix it but where is it from? Is he full of shit or is it a limited option?

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes they exist:

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/Tranny/83FS5W71Bshorttail001Large.jpg[/img]"]83FS5W71Bshorttail001Large.jpg

This one is from a 720 and has a Z series bolt pattern but would be easy enough to swap an L front case onto it. Wish I knew if they were in the '80 2wd.

I have parted 3 1980 720 L20B 5 speeds and my brother stills has the fourth one I gave him. About 8 months ago he gave me the L20B 5 speed back out of it (SMB Chevy plans) and I gave that motor & trans to Hacked521 in Tucson, AZ.

All the transmissions were long tail shaft with a 1 piece driveline. These were all standard bed trucks with standard cabs.

I think (heard this from an old Datsun guru) that the short length, normal shift pattern 720 5 speed is a 4x4 item. Note the one Mike pictured above does not have a speedo gear. I believe this is because they had a divorced transfer case, with the speedo in the transfer case.

Sorry the one I have is 4X4 and does not have the speedo drive in it.

Here is a picture of one that DOES have the speedo drive.... on the left side like a stock 510.

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/Tranny/trannyFS5W71Bshort0ne.jpg[/img]"]trannyFS5W71Bshort0ne.jpg

I admit that not all pictures are mine. The first is (and many others) but if someone posts one that I feel would be useful later to explain something to other members I grab and save it. In a way I'm a librarian in an archive.

I have had a tranny from an '80 4X4 with reg cab (don't remember if long box) and it was a long 31.5" tranny. (no speedo drive in the tailstock) For several years I've known that the shorty is out there and this summer I rescued the shorty in the top picture from an '83 4X4. The tailstock does not have a speedo drive because as someone said the drive is in the transfer case. The second picture definitely has a speedo drive but on the left side very unlike the 720 which is normally on the right. In fact I don't remember seeing any FS5W71B with the speedo on the left. Very odd.

Again, whatever it's out of or whatever motor it was bolted too, any L series front case could be swapped onto it so it would fit the L motor. Maybe they were used on 2wd trucks?????

trannyFS5W71Bshort0ne.jpg

Does anyone recognize the tranny mount on this shorty? Better yet who took this photo? Doesn't look like a truck tranny mount and may give some clue to what it was in. If this was a factory installed tranny it may be from an A10 perhaps? They had a dogleg 5spd. (short) as an option. Maybe they ran short (pun not intended) of them during production and substituted these? I can find no reference to them being used. Just the 720.

Edited by datzenmike
  • 3 weeks later...

Nissan Comp made a drop in 5 speed for 510 (28") length. This was a close ratio racing trans, and 5th gear was 1:1, not an overdrive. That's the only standard pattern short 5 sped I know of. The crossmember looks totally 510. Cut and dropped, to clear z-car/truck trans. (31").

The 510s used a 26" tranny I believe, same as the 200sx dogleg length. Maybe you mean 26" and not 28"? Never heard of a short 5spd. either.

There were 3 (Nismo option #1, #2, #3 ratios) direct drive 5th trannys made, plus a truck and rally direct drive (with same ratios) I've seen pictures of a option #2 tranny and I think it was long. Maybe it was the rally option that was shorter?

Do you have a picture of it

Perhaps you are correct. I never thought the z trans was 7" longer than the 510 trans. But I've never measured the difference. Just the area between tailshaft and pinion when having the driveshaft cut. From what I remember, the Nissan comp 5 speeds were shorter, and used a case like the stock trans, with the steel bottom, and with the bolt in shifter, instead of the pin-in style lie those. You may have a later model b-210 trans. They used that same shifter style, but were short. I have no experience with roadster trannies, but you may ask a roadster guy, I have heared of people putting roadster trannies in 510's.

Perhaps you are correct. I never thought the z trans was 7" longer than the 510 trans. But I've never measured the difference. Just the area between tailshaft and pinion when having the driveshaft cut. From what I remember, the Nissan comp 5 speeds were shorter, and used a case like the stock trans, with the steel bottom, and with the bolt in shifter, instead of the pin-in style lie those. You may have a later model b-210 trans. They used that same shifter style, but were short. I have no experience with roadster trannies, but you may ask a roadster guy, I have heared of people putting roadster trannies in 510's.

The difference between 510 and the FS5W71B from the Z car is about 5.65

I don't know of any 5spd with the steel cover plate on the bottom. Have only seen the stock 510 F4W63 4spd. The FS5W63A dogleg 5spd. will fit the stock location but hardly a competition box.

The roadster 5spd. could be fitted with an L series bell for use on the 240/260/280Z car. With a drive shaft shortening it would fit the 510. Here's and option 2 box:

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/Tranny/FS5C71AoptiontwoLseries.jpg[/img]"]FS5C71AoptiontwoLseries.jpg

The early B-210 optional 5spd was an FS5W63A dogleg or later FS5W60A and the one pictured is definitely not a dogleg. Here's an FS5W60A for a 210:

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/Tranny/transFS5W60A81210-1.jpg[/img]"]transFS5W60A81210-1.jpg

Edited by datzenmike

1980-1982 Datsun B310 aka "Datsun 210" came with FS5W60A standard pattern.

1979 Datsun B310 came with FS5W60L dogleg. One year only can you believe Nissan went to all that trouble for one year? Or maybe it was so bad they redisigned it in a hurry...

I think they were playing catch-up to the Toyo SR-5 models.

I can crawl under my truck tomorrow and see if the mount looks the same..

that is a 4x4 trans, that is what the frame I'm running was set up for when I got it, z24 and a 5 sp.

it has no speedo because on the 4x4 it runs to the T-case, so the speedo is correct in low range.

I had the small center drive shaft shortend 3in. to run the long L type 5 sp. I had and it all went together.

John

Someone will have to look this up, but I beleive the 2000 roadster was a 5 speed, and I think the u-20 used the same bolt pattern as l-series. I know they will not work on the z cars, the roadster uses the smaller flywheel. A z car or 620 flywheel will not fit in the stock 510 trans. I honestly have never seen a 2L roadster trans in person.

The Roadster tranny will not bolt to the L4 or 6 cylinder motors. For one thing the Roadster starter is on the driver's side.

Here is a Roadster tranny on a 2000 motor:

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/Tranny/transcloseratiocompetition5spdLseri.jpg[/img]"]transcloseratiocompetition5spdLseri.jpg

The Roadster bell can be easily unbolted so an L series bell was made so that the Roadster tranny could be mounted to the 240z car (or any L series motor) Here is one, note the starter location:

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q251/datzenmike/Tranny/transearlycloseratioroadster_box_.jpg[/img]"]transearlycloseratioroadster_box_.jpg

As for flywheels, 510 L16 flywheels are 5 bolt so only L16 and L18 motors from cars (610/710) or trucks (521/620) will fit. Z cars used 6 bolt flywheels.

I was actually referring to the clutch size, but, thanks or the pic of the roadster trans. I know the 2 liter roadster used the smaller clutch, because I had to seek out a six bolt small clutch flywheel when I put an L-20b in my 510 all those years ago. Otherwise I would have had to use a Z car clutch instead of my Roadster clutch I was very fond of.

On that note, we cue the music...