Common and UNcommon engine swaps

DRIVEN

yeah theres one on here. been under the knife for a while. cant recall the build thread. maybe someone can chime in?

Oh yah, i remember reading on that awhile back. So is that thing running yet?

That thing pretty much has a tube chasis, anything is possible when you do that. Looks like a fun ride if it gets all done though.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...

I know most swaps are about power but I have thought about a Suzuki G13 and 5spd trans from a Samurai for my B110/1200 coupe. These engines and trans are pretty small with aluminum block and case. Of course you could add a turbo later or a NA G16. These cars are so light aka light duty any real power you add requires adding weight in suspension, brake, & rearend up grades. I think with the 1200 focusing on a little more power and lighter weight would be the way to go. If rear power is wanted I'd start with a different chassis.

What he said^^^ lol

But since you opened it ,,If your thinking Suzuki samurai trans , and better mileage per gallon,,there`s a guy in Oregon that makes an adapter kit to bolt an older VW diesel engine in a samurai ,, and the cost is very reasonable..Can`t remember company name but my friend used one and it included absolutely everything needed, for something like $550. somewhere in there.....You probably be able to drive around the earth twice on a tank of fuel.. :D

I know most swaps are about power but I have thought about a Suzuki G13 and 5spd trans from a Samurai for my B110/1200 coupe. These engines and trans are pretty small with aluminum block and case. Of course you could add a turbo later or a NA G16. These cars are so light aka light duty any real power you add requires adding weight in suspension, brake, & rearend up grades. I think with the 1200 focusing on a little more power and lighter weight would be the way to go. If rear power is wanted I'd start with a different chassis.

Suzuki G13B automotive engine in a 1200

14126.jpg

Suzuki G13B Twin Cam 16V. Forged everything, aluminum everything. Tough as nails. 100hp @ 6500 RPM. Only no one ever finishes the swap because bigger engines keep calling. The 1200 is perfect for a large four cylinder like the 154hp KA24DE, 156hp 2.6 Astron 4G54, 187hp CA18DET, 202hp SR20DET.

Holy thread revival batman!

No kidding. Since I started this thread my car has already had 2 swaps done to it and I'm collecting parts for a 3rd. Of all the realistic options mentioned so far, the VW diesel still intrigues me the most. I'm really surprised it hasn't been done yet. Maybe I'll start collecting those parts for swap #4 B) .

• Like 1

I have an l20/28/z trans on my 70 goon now,but always planned on swapping im a vg30 someday. I've been trying to find out if my 280z trans will work wirt a lz22 swap until I can do the vg30 swap. can one of you answer this for me? Thanks!

Guest kamakazi620

"Holy thread revival batman!"

Engine swap threads should never die! Unless it's about putting a cast iron V8 in a Datsun, those should never start.

A chevy 4.3 v6 should be a good swap,mild build puts down 300hp

I've always wanted to swap a GM 3800 Supercharged. Haven't sourced a rwd trans.

The 3800 uses the 60* bellhousing pattern. It was used in the mid '90s Camaro/Firebird so either a T5 or a 4L60E could be used. For the supercharged version the biggest problem is that the stock throttle body location would be inside the firewall. Using an elbow can fix that. The supercharger swap has been done on the RWD 3800 many times. There was a 510 build thread on the realm but I don't think it ever got finished. Looked like steering was going to be creative. I always thought the 3800 would be a great candidate for a 521/620 swap.

would like to find out. lights 1-3 up easy....

it has some issues i need to take care of first... the suspension need work to say the least, its all over the road and really hard to drive in a straight line. got a high speed vibe thats either the drive shaft or a wheel bearing. it also still has an open diff so thats no good. also an annoying exhaust leak for the manifold.

Since the original intent of the thread was actually to archive and document swaps, I'll put up a few details for my current combo:

006-14.jpg

GM 2.4 TwinCam. I used a 71series 5-speed and an adapter plate along with a mixture of GM/Datsun clutch parts. The crossmember needed to be shaved but not flipped or completely cut out. All the factory stands and rubber motor mounts were kept and I made my own block brackets. The stock center link needed to be dropped on the passenger side. I plan to eventually go to a front steer rack. A '98 Jetta radiator was used with a remote filler. A single electric fan keeps it cool with no problems. It appears that there is room to run a B210 booster but I haven't installed mine yet. No body mods were necessary.

001-48.jpg

008-10.jpg

007-9.jpg

001-51.jpg

Was it a simple swap? Not too bad. Would I do it again? Probably. How does it perform? Similar to a KA. What would I do different? Well, there's never enough power. I'm currently collecting parts for build-up on my spare engine. With the correct combination of factory parts these have been documented at over 200hp.