new OS

your prolly thinking this is sometin to do with windows 7, but it aint.

finally got around to installing and formatting the HD from my old computer. i installed ubuntu 9.04 onto the clean drive.

all i can say is wow. linux runs so much faster than any other OS ive used. ive never had a pc work this fast. this is like mac performance.

i just got this installed and ive only been using it for like 20 min, but i love it.

anyways, just though id flap my jaw a little.

anyone else into the open source OS's?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I ran ubuntu for a year or two. it is very nice!

I have ran Redhat

Gentoo

Debian

Freebsd

Mandrake

winux/linux

Fedora

Suse

Mandriva

Slackware

Os/2 Warp 4

KNOPPIX

Solaris

Beos

My first computer ran dos 3.3, then 5.0, then 6.22. DesQview (bet nobody remembers that one, wasn't really an OS, but at the same time it was. Was a dos operated mutli-tasking environment like in windows...)

Windows 3.1, 3.11, 95, 98, 98se, xp (all versions), windows 7

There are more im sure that i am forgetting. But oh well, i have ran a lot in my time. Everyone was nice in its own way. I really like Debian based systems, thats what ubuntu was built off of.

I wish I could run Linux daily. Main reason I love os x is for it's Darwin kernel. (based on bsd) but I have no driver support, no cinema 4d, no after effects, etc. Been thinking about making the switch once I learn Houdini. Houdini + nuke and I can get back on zen Linux with fluxbox GUI! Ohh I miss my IT days. All I did was write for metasploit and do security testing.

If Things went slightly diff I'd be working in hawaii right now with my friends doing corp security testing and resolution.

I am running Ubuntu 8.04, on a free computer I got by donating time at Freegeek in Portland, OR.

I like not having to pay for a new operating system, or office suite of software every time Microsoft thinks I need an upgrade.

no doubt. i use open office

I am running Ubuntu 8.04, on a free computer I got by donating time at Freegeek in Portland, OR.

I like not having to pay for a new operating system, or office suite of software every time Microsoft thinks I need an upgrade.

yeah thats what i was thinking to. when it was installing it showed what it was installing and i saw open office and i was like "cool!'

this basically has everything that i would need. i found that i might have to redo the boot order. my fiance turned on the computer and asked me "why does the computer have mac on it now?" lol

but yeah, i love it. i have all the graphic effects turned up and its bearly using my system. AMAZING!!

I run 64 bit CentOS 5.3 on my newest computer build (RHEL derivative). It truly is amazing just how much faster the OS can be at even simple tasks like tranfering files to and from thumb drives. A six minute transfer takes two and a half minutes on my Linux machine for example.

I've also got Fedora 11 dual booted on the laptop I'm typing this on.:D

but have you already installed all of your hardware? the issue with linux and why it haven't grew like its supposed to be is for drivers issues with recent computers.

At least Linux Mint 7 has a lot of drivers, even Nvidia, ATi working with Beryl, wireless cards, etc, etc.

I love linux, but it still have issues.

I run 64 bit CentOS 5.3 on my newest computer build (RHEL derivative). It truly is amazing just how much faster the OS can be at even simple tasks like tranfering files to and from thumb drives. A six minute transfer takes two and a half minutes on my Linux machine for example.

I've also got Fedora 11 dual booted on the laptop I'm typing this on.:D

thats just crazy talk. from A 7200 rpm drive to a XX speed thumb drive all say formatted FAT16. The files will get from A to B with no amount of time increase. Unless your variables are like, Norton screening each file before it copies, or some software gettin in the way.

the real difference of r/w times comes from the format, fat, ntfs, zfs, hfs, etc etc. the way they handle i/o.

thats just crazy talk. from A 7200 rpm drive to a XX speed thumb drive all say formatted FAT16. The files will get from A to B with no amount of time increase. Unless your variables are like, Norton screening each file before it copies, or some software gettin in the way.

the real difference of r/w times comes from the format, fat, ntfs, zfs, hfs, etc etc. the way they handle i/o.

I beg to differ.

Test parameters:

Same HP Pavilion zd8000 laptop w/ dual boot of 32 bit Windows XP and 64 bit Fedora 11. 7200 rpm hard drive formatted to NTFS, 2GB RAM, 3.4 GHz Pentium 4F processor. 8GB HP flash drive (on sale at Staples) formatted to NTFS, USB 2.0 connection. 896 MB .avi file being transferred to and from above noted drives on above noted computer.

Test Results with lowest observed time reported:

Windows:

From Flash to HDD = 0:44 seconds

From HDD to Flash = 2:01 minutes

Linux:

From Flash to HDD = 0:42 seconds

From HDD to Flash = 0:54 seconds

I repeated the test a few times to be sure.

I have no virus scanning software (I wouldn't let Norton near any of my machines) running on XP, and I closed all unnecessary processes and services for this test. The only extraneous piece of software running was an internet firewall which had no effect on the test results.

Linux simply handles file transfers quicker than Windows in most instances. It uses a different instruction set. I thought that was somewhat well known. Large scale side by side business networking and web hosting benchmarks aren't too hard to find with the 'ole Google as well as small scale personal comparisons.