Automatic transmission problem.

HRH

So here's a brain teaser for some of you ratsun folks who deal with automatic transmissions: What would make one rev no matter which gear it's in, with no bad noises, just free rev?

I'm looking to fix a 2003 Neon 2.0 16 valve (about 16 more than the Neon needed!) with just such an issue. No, not mine, I hate automatics and Neons too. But either way, it has 100k, I checked and the shift cable is still attached and moving. No massive fluid leak that I could see, dipstick still full with appropriate red color ATF. I can replace the transmission easily, but was curious if anyone deals with the confounded things on a daily basis?

It seems odd to me that it would free rev, but not have fluid loss, but also not make any bad clicking/ratcheting sounds like one of my many years ago Chrysler New Yorker. (*Shiver*, bleh, I vomited a little remembering that.) :D

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As in free rev with no movement?

My best guess is that the pump is shot or a passagway is clogged keeping any pressure from making it to the clutch bands to engage whichever gear it's in. Since no gear works, I'd guess it's a passage right off the pump, if not the pump itself.

Yep, you got it, no go, forward or reverse. Don't suppose you know how much it is to rebuild one of those, do you? Most standards are only 350-450 at my local shop. Autos are weird, I know some are god-awful expensive to fix.

Another possiblity is the shifter linkage is not working.

Or the transmission is too full. It must be measure when fully hot, not cold, and prefereably not "warm". But I recall neon has a cold measure on the stick, and if so it shouldn't be up to the full mark, but down at the cold mark when cold.

Don't have a trans. code scanner. Usually no need, especially with Datsun manual trannys. She's going to find a local shop to check for trans. codes at the request of her grandma, who's paying for the mess. From talking to my tranny guy and a few accounts, it's a safe bet something took a dump inside. Either way, I'm pretty sure it's going to need a rebuild.

Expensive though. My tranny guy does good work, and cheap for standards. Autoslushboxes not so much. 775 just to replace guts for the non-od tranny, which doesn't include hard parts damaged once they get in there. Figure about 1000 for that, at least that's what I quoted to the owner. 300 my labor to remove/reinstall. Ballpark in the realm of 1300-1500 dollars depending on how bad the tranny is.

Whereas, if it was a 5 speed, it probably wouldn't have broken, and a rebuild is 350. I'm so glad I don't own any automatics. Only owned 1, and it broke and I sold it to the tranny shop guy for 200 bucks. Good riddance. The other auto I had I converted to manual. Much better.

• 3 weeks later...

Since you do not have any role in gear-change when using a vehicle with automatic transmission, the chances of the gears getting faulty due to human error are non-existent. The main ingredient that will keep the automatic transmission performing like new is the transmission oil. You know how important changing the engine oil on time is, and the serious damage that can occur in case you don't. Same is the case with changing transmission oil, but this is one area that is very often neglected, resulting in sudden and serious damage to the transmission.