WD40 fixed my haunted headlight switch

I've mentioned that the headlights on my 510 had a bad habit of just turning themselves on in the middle of the night and draining my battery. Not only is this annoying but after three or four incidents the life of the battery is greatly diminished.

I noticed that I could just barely wiggle the headlight switch when the lights were off and all four headlights would come on.

After they came on I could wiggle the switch some more and they would go off BUT if I slammed my door as I was exiting the vehicle the lights would come back on. Hell, once my cat jumped on the hood of my 510 and made the lights come on!

Well, I priced a new headlight switch - $187.79 and up :blink:!

Then I contemplated installing a battery disconnect switch or quick disconnect terminal but just couldn't bring myself to cut my Dat's factory battery cables.

Saturday before last I woke up to a drained battery and, in a fit of anger, grabbed the new Mega-Lo-Mart sized can of WD-40 (non-red straw type BTW) I had purchased awhile back and sprayed some into the headlight switch's mounting orifices on the steering column.

I mean I went Kama Sutra on that freakin' switch! I sprayed WD40 into it as I moved it into it in every position I could think of - up, down, forward, backward, missionary, doggy style, froggy style, flailing jackhammer, Turkish snow cone, sneaky Castro - buddy, you name it we went there!!!

I drove the car all that weekend, parked it all the following week, drove it all this past weekend and just went out and started it: no headlight malfunction since WD40 was applied. This is the longest period of time it has went without draining the battery since I bought it in September of '08.

NOTE:

This information is meant for educational purposes only. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead is purely coincidental. Void where prohibited. Some assembly required. List each check separately by bank number. Batteries not included. Contents may settle during shipment. Use only as directed. No other warranty expressed or implied. Do not use while operating a motor vehicle or heavy equipment. Postage will be paid by addressee. Subject to approval. This is not an offer to sell securities. Apply only to affected area. May be too intense for some viewers. Do not stamp. Use other side for additional listings. For recreational use only. Do not disturb. All models over 18 years of age. If condition persists, consult your physician. No user-serviceable parts inside. Freshest if eaten before date on carton. Subject to change without notice. Times approximate. Simulated picture. No postage necessary if mailed in the United States. Breaking seal constitutes acceptance of agreement. For off-road use only. As seen on TV. One size fits all. Many suitcases look alike. Contains a substantial amount of non-tobacco ingredients. Colors may, in time, fade. We have sent the forms which seem to be right for you. Slippery when wet. For office use only. OMG!!! Are you still reading this!?! From ghosties and ghoulies and long-leggedy beasties and all things that go bump in the night Good Lord, deliver us.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

did the same with mine

i would turn the headlight switch on and it would take 10-30 seconds for the lights to come on after it sat for a while. The brights were a while too, sucks when driving and you turn your brights on and you end up with no lights.

shot it with wd40 once, never had the problem again. :D

:lol: thats funny :lol:

NOTE:

This information is meant for educational purposes only. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead is purely coincidental. Void where prohibited. Some assembly required. List each check separately by bank number. Batteries not included. Contents may settle during shipment. Use only as directed. No other warranty expressed or implied. Do not use while operating a motor vehicle or heavy equipment. Postage will be paid by addressee. Subject to approval. This is not an offer to sell securities. Apply only to affected area. May be too intense for some viewers. Do not stamp. Use other side for additional listings. For recreational use only. Do not disturb. All models over 18 years of age. If condition persists, consult your physician. No user-serviceable parts inside. Freshest if eaten before date on carton. Subject to change without notice. Times approximate. Simulated picture. No postage necessary if mailed in the United States. Breaking seal constitutes acceptance of agreement. For off-road use only. As seen on TV. One size fits all. Many suitcases look alike. Contains a substantial amount of non-tobacco ingredients. Colors may, in time, fade. We have sent the forms which seem to be right for you. Slippery when wet. For office use only. OMG!!! Are you still reading this!?! From ghosties and ghoulies and long-leggedy beasties and all things that go bump in the night Good Lord, deliver us.

I guess disclaimers are needed in todays world.... ;)