510 wagon bearing issue[s]

Ok on the way to work yesterday i heard a clunking noise coming from the front end of the wagon. It was a definate "clunk" noise & i intially thought it could be loose lug nuts causing it. Not the case...as i parked it the brakes started sqeaking like crazy & it sounded like the inside of the tire was rubbing against the strut tube. Had it towed home & tore it down to find this mess...

The outer washer is cupped slightly...

1255304343.jpg

the outer nut is worn / turned colors from getting hot & what im guessing is the remains of the outer bearing drooped over the spindle shaft...

1255304340.jpg

& thi spart that slides over the spindle shaft appears to be mushroomed on the inside lip....1255304348.jpg

Im hoping i can simply replace the outer bearing & call it good. My dilema / questions are this. Are the 2 damaged partes going to need to be replaced or can i simply reinstall them ?

Also the rotor on this side is grooved bad & needs replacing. Will a 280 zx rotor work or do i need a 510 specific rotor ?

Any advice or reccomendations will be appreciated. This is my daily & it needs to be back on the road in a few days. TY guys...

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would clean off the spindle and check the race for where the bearing sits. if it is in knicked I would change out that whole spindle and bearings and hardware. that is if you want to make it last a long time. up to you if you want to do a quick fix but you will end up taking it apart again. as for a zx rotor fitting it won't different size. of course don't forget to repack the new bearings and get the seal and torque to correct rating to not crush the bearing

good luck

Yep. What he said. Be sure to tighten the new bearing to spec. 1st torque to initial spec, loosen and torque to less spec, then back off partial turn as indicated.

The rotor may still be in spec and can be turned otherwise they are inexpensive from rockauto only $30 each.

72 wagon..i saved the PM you sent me months ago & revisited your thread to find the correct seal you used. Thank you so much. I found an old school parts house & the guy is good. He took awhile to find the seal #. Ill compare it to the pic you posted.

Ok had to go back & get the correct outer bearing. The one they sold me was a tad to big. Heres the CORRECT outer bearing & race, the pt. #'s are on the box...& the CORRECT hub seal, & huge TY to 72 wagon for posting this info awhile back...

1255473927.jpg

The hub seal i bought from Napa is too big & WONT fit...

pt.# for that seal is...........

Item#: NOS18864

& heres the remains of the old outer bearing...........

1255476208.jpg

Went on a test drive & all is good. In a few weeks I'll put all new brake pads on. Mods...is there a place we can post info on these seals / bearings so others can get it fixed right the 1st time??

cool. good job. yeah it stinks when parts stores give you wrong parts. I ran into this a couple of times but luckily did not have to wait long to get.

Funny thing is i wasnt even upset. The guy was just going by the #'s in the catalouge. Today i brought in the hub & he matched the new outer bearing to the race.

that is cool you did not get upset or bent. that means you come to terms with owning a older car. From what I know most catalogs are correct just through the years there may have been changes between years or someone changed something on the car and you would not know til something broke. I had to go through a small issue with ball joints but other than that I have had good success getting other parts.