6 to 4 lug conversion

Ray 620

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Take the hubs and rotors or drums to your local machine shop, have them drilled to the pattern you want, then press in new lugs. Im not positive this will work for your applicaton, but ive done this on many different vehicles. Any decent machine shop should be able to handle this kind of job, and tell you if it can be done or not.

Yeah, ditch the 4 lug rims. 5 lug Toyota axle conversions are way more common, lots more rim sizes. But everyone knows Datsun/Nissan has 6 lug hubs because they're beefy and they actually get used as trucks. Don't cut the balls off your truck, in other words! :D

Thanks for the reply guys,,

I will check som machine shop 'round here Airedout I'll see if its possible, thanks,,,

I like to do this conversion cos like i said i have plenty of 4 lug rims from my ae86, and that so i can mix my rims around,, :)

:lol:Yeah...how lame to think of a 4 lug Datsun truck...:lol:

Wait...............I guess there was this one...

10632_3497098_1.jpg

And then there is this freegin badaz truck too...:blink:

datsun01.jpg

Just kidding man...I totally agree with you..."BAD IDEA"!:cool:

Curb weight of the 1200 Ute(as shown above)=1660-1700lbs depending on source of info

Curb weight of the 521= 2440lbs as it sits with me in it(real life!)...every single time I go to the scrap yard.

I would never recommend the 4 lug swap on a 521...ever!

The amount of work involved plus the reduced "usability" are both big drawbacks in my mind.

Most 4x100 bolt pattern cars were made with significantly less payload in mind than the 521..even empty. VW Jetta, Honda Civic, Mazda etc...

Not to mention the difference in wheel engineering that goes into a front-wheel drive car vs. that of a rear wheel drive car.

One notable exception might be if you were going to completely re-engineer the entire truck so as to be far more in keeping with the 4 lug specs and requirements...see the below link for one such example...:cool:

You do it like this...and most of us are going to completely support you...a few of us may even show up to help one day.

http://forum.ratsun.net/showthread.php?t=7592&highlight=top+secret

Just kidding man...I totally agree with you..."BAD IDEA"!:cool:

Curb weight of the 1200 Ute(as shown above)=1660-1700lbs depending on source of info

Curb weight of the 521= 2440lbs as it sits with me in it(real life!)...every single time I go to the scrap yard.

I would never recommend the 4 lug swap on a 521...ever!

The amount of work involved plus the reduced "usability" are both big drawbacks in my mind.

Most 4x100 bolt pattern cars were made with significantly less payload in mind than the 521..even empty. VW Jetta, Honda Civic, Mazda etc...

Not to mention the difference in wheel engineering that goes into a front-wheel drive car vs. that of a rear wheel drive car.

One notable exception might be if you were going to completely re-engineer the entire truck so as to be far more in keeping with the 4 lug specs and requirements...see the below link for one such example...:cool:

You do it like this...and most of us are going to completely support you...a few of us may even show up to help one day.

http://forum.ratsun.net/showthread.php?t=7592&highlight=top+secret

most 510's weigh in the range of 2300lbs and they are 4 lug.

hell, the fox body mustangs weigh like 2800 and are 4 lug.

you would be dumb to swap to 4x100 like a fwd car, but i could see the want of doing 4x114 to run regular 4 lug wheels.

I think 6 lug is overkill for those little a trucks lol

I think 6 lug is overkill for those little a trucks lol

AGREED! Seriously...:blink: Nice to have it so standard...but way stronger than the little truck actually "needs"

I mean maybe we should consider the 7 lug Ford spindles and rear axle...

SO MUCH STRONGER THAN 6!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:lol:

IDIOTS!!!!!!!:rolleyes:

AGREED! Seriously...:blink: Nice to have it so standard...but way stronger than the little truck actually "needs"

I mean maybe we should consider the 7 lug Ford spindles and rear axle...

SO MUCH STRONGER THAN 6!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:lol:

IDIOTS!!!!!!!:rolleyes:

and im sure the OP is planning on towing and hauling in his truck :rolleyes:

this isnt something you do and then throw a bunch of stuff in the bed to haul.. but this is something that can be done if you plan on just having the truck to drive

and 7 lug? im pretty sure ford has just 4/5/6/8 lug alhough i could be wrong.

another thing to for example is on my blazer with 6 lug axles. alot of people swap to the 14bolt rear end that has 8 lug. Not becuase the adding of the extra 2 lugs is gonna help, but because the axles/diff/brakes are beefier. people dont shear lugs, they break axles.

So if the OP went with stock hubs redrilled to 4 lug i doubt the carring capacity would be totally crippled.

Edited by NorCalDime
there is no comparing mustangs with datsuns when it comes to four lugs. I'm sorry to different vehicles. One has more torque then the other. I should know I own a 85 rs carpi and 85 ltd lx.

Ok so that validates my point even more since the mustang is throwing down more power through the "lugs" lol.

I was using the mustang as an example of a heavy car that can deal with 4 lug just fine.

if you like i can change that to an s14 that weigh 2750 + and are in 4 lug.

I like to do this conversion cos like i said i have plenty of 4 lug rims from my ae86, and that so i can mix my rims around,, :)

There's no guarantee those rims will have the proper offset for a 620. The '78 and '79 need even more room for the front disc brake caliper. There's lots of chev ford mazda 'yoda 6 bolt out there even in 15. No need for that much bother/expen$e.