New to site New to Datsun, love my truck

skunk

its been well over a month sence my last post on my truck so i need to get my lazy ass to work. i havnt been driving her to work anymore shes starting to act up and iv been puting off looking at her. the carb needs some works i have to hold the gas down all the way to get it to start.Its going to need a new battery. and the trany worrys me.Its starting to have a hard time geting into 2nd gear and only 2 gear. but i started it for the first time yesterday in like three - four weeks. hell maybe more the holidays have been one big blur, lack of daylight is starting to get to me and well its been cold and i havnt wanted to work on her but she needs me. im hopeing to get to it this week end rain snow what ever even if it means just going to the yards for stuff i need. i want to spend some time working on/for my truck.Iv got new tools now so that makes things easyer, and ill just have to deal with the cold.

Edited by skunktruckin
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Alright, sounds like skunk picked up a weber for the '73, and I have this Matchbox dizzy to put in.

323_2327.jpg

I know we need a 'no ballast' coil, but on this particular dizzy (1980 L20), there are three wires. One is white ( B ), one is Black w/Yellow stripe ( C ), and there is a thrid one that is Black w/Red stripe. What is the black w/red for?

We'd like to put this in today, so if anyone is not out working on their rig, would you let us know?

didnt have the time to get the matchbox in, we will have to do that on a latter date but we did change the #1 point on the stock distributor and now she runs nice and strong, had to change the timeing a bit so now she idles alot better too.

next step is to get that webber on there, but im going to need to get some more info on them befor i try to do this.

Just glad to help. You guys have a couple of cool rides, and if I can help you learn a little and KEEP 'EM, that's really my only motivation. Way too many rigs on here end up as 1/2 finished projects (maybe even mine).

Plus I like both of you, it's a pleasure to hang out with people you get along with.

No one charged me when I started learning this stuff, so if you really want to pay me back, then just pay it forward. :)

i dont even have the weber on yet

Just saying webers dont fix the problem always....mines is being hard on me ....who powdercoated those wheels .....pti, comercial powdercoating, just curious....looks like the old stand by color 60% black....they look nice....

so i got the weber on, and it sounds so bad ass. only 1 thing wrong, my throttle cabel is to short and holds the throttle about 1/2 open. and yes i tryed ajusting it its just to short, im going to have to re mount the throttle cable. dont reallllly know how im going to do this but it will happen. i sleep now

Haha i did it, i spent like an hour just diging threw my random crap box till i fond some kine of mounting braket, not sure what its from, but i cut it up drilled some extra holes in it and mounted it to my old throttle mounting braket and mounted the throttle cable to it, took a couple laps around the truck starting it trying to run to the carb to ajust the carb and it dieing befor i got there to get it to run with out me staying on the gas but its runing good now.

it does bog out here and there, and if i really get on the gas it makes a poping noise (kinda like a back fire but it sounds like its under the hood) and when i rev it up when its parked at high rpms i get a bit of black smoke out my tail pipe, so i am runing a little rich but ill get that fixed soon enof. ill get some pics up after i wake up i got to go to bed now

well i got to drive it for one day, yet again. and now shes going to be parked for a bit, at least till i can get this next prob fixed.

so im geting some worrysome noises from my engine, after sticking my head in there for about 10mins while a co worker reved the engine i came the the conclusion that its the cam, im hoping its just the barings or even one of the rockers but im really scared that im going to take that cover off and find some little metal bits, i really dont like puting $$ into a engine i want to swap out so i may just get the KC going and not sell it right now any cash i put into the KC at lest raise the amount i can sell it for latter puting cash into the L16 just makes a more valuable paper weight. I dont own a tork wrench so im not going to do this right away, but yeah. the datsun money pit stikes again

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...