Frontier Automatic

Bleach

seriously how hard can it be to find the dip stick on an auto?

2 years of ownership and with a Factory service Manual and I can't find it. No way to fill this transmission or check the fluid level I guess.

There are no pictures or references to it in the FSM either.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Pull the whole trans out. Find it, then youll know :D

Nismo dr should know, since he is a nissan mechanic.

this is what i was able to find,

On all the newer Frontiers they take special trans fluid, nissan when AT put a black cap ontop of the sticks and put a 6mm bolt into them to keep people from mixing the fluid. Below is 2 pictures of the engine compartments. On both engines they are on the opposite side of the oil dipstick. Also on that black cap there should be a silver sticker on there say they take Matic J fluid. Look in the area that i have circled

2008-03-27_162814_2008-03-27_132342.png

2008-03-27_162718_2008-03-27_132246.png

old news matic J doesn't exist - Its matic S now:D 6mm is the bolt size the head is 10mm - regular dipstick after you unbolt it

Pull the whole trans out. Find it, then youll know :D

Nismo dr should know, since he is a nissan mechanic.

this is what i was able to find,

On all the newer Frontiers they take special trans fluid, nissan when AT put a black cap ontop of the sticks and put a 6mm bolt into them to keep people from mixing the fluid. Below is 2 pictures of the engine compartments. On both engines they are on the opposite side of the oil dipstick. Also on that black cap there should be a silver sticker on there say they take Matic J fluid. Look in the area that i have circled

2008-03-27_162814_2008-03-27_132342.png

2008-03-27_162718_2008-03-27_132246.png

pull the breather off(base part too), it's under there on the paasenger side. you can get to it/see it w/o pulling the breather but it's more obvious once the breather base is out of the way

pass side under air cleaner.

Thank you for the tip. You are right. Its different looking than I expected. There is even a clip to hold it in that is hard to move with one hand. The fluid looks full but is really thin and clear looking.

frontier auto dip stick 1.jpg

frontier auto dip stick 2.jpg

At least there's something there. A lot of the newer vehicles literally don't have a fill plug. There's a snorkel apparatus that sticks up into the drain plug and injects the tranny fluid above that to then trickle down and fill the transmission. Ran into that at NAPA, gal called, said she drained the fluid, but can't put stuff back in. Told her to have it trailered down to the dealer or risk the trans being replaced.

YET ANOTHER REASON NOT TO BUY A NEW VEHICLE! :D

My girlfriend's 2001 Civic (auto) has no pan or drain plug in the tranny. You have to put a hose down the dip stick and have the fluid sucked out and replaced that way. I didn't have the tools for that but she found a friend who did and got it done cheap.