Possibly on my way from NZ to Charlotte , Carolina

Hello.

I currently work for a compnay here in NZ building Citi Buses and we have are part of Designline International which also has a factory in Charlotte, Carolina.

My work is currently putting together a team to send over and train some people in better techniques on building Buses.

So what i was wondering is What is there to do in Charlotte?

And of course are there any crazy Datsun people i can meet up with?

How bout race car tracks or Drag racing or hot rod shows??

Its looking like ill be there for 3 months so ill have plenty of time to look around.

Cheers

Chris

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Only one of the big NASCAR tracks. And A lot of the teams are based there so you could try to take tours of facilities like the Pettys'. 5 years ago my mom won a contest and we got to go there and watch the Sat night races with the Petty family in their track suite, and Paula Dean cooked the dinner. There was 15 winners with 1 guest each making 30 of us there. We all got our chance to talk to each of them and all were so friendly. Did you know 1 NASCAR race has more fans attending than most baseball games added together?

* philip1 is a great Datsun club member, he is an Sunny expert, and has some new Datsuns

* Teretonga from Invercargill in is North Carolina I think, a true Datsun fan

* Not much Datsuns otherwise

Other attractions:

* Charlotte is in the heart of NASCAR territory.

* The Charlotte Hornets is some kind of major ball team

* It is a Tech center, lots of high tech companies

* In the heart of american furniture production if you have any interest in that

If your will arrive before October 14th, you will have an opportunity to attend a weekend of NASCAR events at one of the premier speedways anywhere.

Check here for information:

Lowe's Motor Speedway

For the last few years it has been known as Lowe's Motor Speedway, but we all know it as Charlotte Motor Speedway. It was renamed for the major sponsorship provided by Lowes, a home improvement chain, and the sponsor of the Jimmy Johnson #48 Sprint Cup Car.

The brand new zMax Dragway is at the same location, but the big races were last weekend so you've missed those. It is the first 4 wide dragstrip in the world.

Most of the major NASCAR teams shops are located within 2 to 40 miles from the speedway. The Hendrick's teams shops are just a mile or so down Speedway Blvd.

Charlotte also hosts a pro footbal team, the Carolina Panthers, in a stadium right down town. You will certainly be here during that season which is just 3 weeks old.

No, Charlotte isn't the "center of furniture production", although a major part of wood and uplholstered furniture is produced in NC. High Point, NC (which is about 60 miles northeast of Charlotte, is called the "Furniture Capital of the World" because it is a major production area and is home to the International Home Furnishing Center that hosts a semi-annual "Furniture Market" where buyers from all over the world come to see new designs, place orders, and "party". That also will be in mid-October. Here is a link to more info on that http://www.ihfc.com/

High Point is also home to the Thomas Built Buses company. There are well known in the bus building industry here in the states.

NC isn't really the hotbed of Datsun enthusiasts. However, there are a number of us here.

In fact, one well known 510 owner has a shop near Charlotte where he collects and maintains PL510s for SCCA racing and street use.

One of the most interesting project cars discussed on the 510Realm is in Charlotte. See this link http://www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=5992 for and interesting read.

I'm located about 80 miles northeast of Charlotte, near Winston-Salem. I'm currently working on my 9th PL510.

Winston-Salem was home to Jim Fitzgerald, a well known Datsun racer for many years. A great racer and a good man. One of his team members stops by my house frequently to review the progress on the current 510.

I hope you enjoy your trip to the USA and NC. There are lots of things you can do here with your time.

Terry

A sneaky byproduct of all those furniture factories. All the best figured walnut and oak get cut out of the blanks and tossed out in the trash heap! Furniture wants straight grained "vanilla" wood. If you can get to their trash, you will find absolutely beautiful wood to fab an absolutly wonderful dash etc. I have several plaques made up by a gentleman from my former military office who was from that area and brought back very spectacularly grained walnut. Unfortunately none were large enough for a rifle stock, but maybe pistol grips!

Hey cheers guys for all the useful info!

Id love to see the nascar racing and unforunate to miss out on the drag season.

Hopefully confirm the trip in nxt couple weeks and will be able to confirm dates.

Would really like to meet up with some american datsun lovers and share some stories over some drinks.

What the weather like over that way this time of year?

I love NC, some of the prettiest land in america, In my opinion. Between the appalachian mountains and the Ocean.

As much as people rag on NASCAR (including myself) for being incapable to do anything but go 'round in circles all but twice a year, some of the most advanced engine design and best minds in the business are there, most of them in NC.

NC is really mild this time of year, usually why I go to visit relatives about this time. Leaves are starting to turn and it's pretty. Come Janurary it can get pretty chilly, but it's far more mild than most of the midwest, north west, and new england.

Charlotte Hornets??? They moved to New Orleans in '02. Charlotte Bobcats are the NBA team nowadays

* philip1 is a great Datsun club member, he is an Sunny expert, and has some new Datsuns

* Teretonga from Invercargill in is North Carolina I think, a true Datsun fan

* Not much Datsuns otherwise

Other attractions:

* Charlotte is in the heart of NASCAR territory.

* The Charlotte Hornets is some kind of major ball team

* It is a Tech center, lots of high tech companies

* In the heart of american furniture production if you have any interest in that

• 4 weeks later...

I bet it won't be like xmas back home (i could never understand that Bing Crosby song "i'm dreaming of a white christmas" but once i moved here (from Dunnos) i now understand. You should try to make it to Oregon/Washington soooo many dattos here(maybe pick up a 240z there's a 1970 z around here that's for sale for $1950 with the exchange rate in your favour it would be a shame not to grab a little something to remember the states by. I have never been to Carolina so i can't help there, and rark those guy's up about voting for Fisch:)

Wicked, Thanks guys.

Doenst look like it will change much for me.

But i will miss out on a sweet summer back here.

HOw far is washington?

Really keen to meet up with others.

Really hoping there is a few people in the general carolina area.

The most ive travelled in KMs a day about 900. New Zealand is a very small country:)