L16 motor, worth?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

javin makes a valid point, however, if it were me... i'd buy it anyway, even if it needs a rebuild right now it's easier to rebuild a motor on a stand than in the vehicle, plus if it really is a high comp/mild cam setup, it might be a nice lil motor. and like tdaaj said, even if you don't keep it, if you ebay the stuff you don't need (or offer it here first :D) then you could recomp a good chunk of that initial 700... or just put some parts on your shelves for the future.

Gotta wonder how common parts are in PA. I honestly have no idea. Out here it's easy to say a L20 isn't worth much, or a pile of stock L16/18s worth it's weight in scrap. I wouldn't say this of course, but it's a market value thing, and the market might be drastically different

If the motor looks good Offer 400bucks then walk away

why cause itsa L16 and want to see what was done to it. Otherwise its just a stock bottom end.

Look at the head that where the money would be spent. Thats what your paying for.

as for the L16/18 would be better in a 521 than a L20 cause the Low gear ration in the 521.(for daily driving)

Just get your motor running first.!!!!!!!!!

the 521 trans usues a Nut on back of the output the 510 trans doesnt. otherwise they ar the same

Supply and demand totally comes into play on the right coast. I actually live in MA but am I am going to Philly PA (location of engine) on a family vacation this weekend.

How hard would it be to hook up the dcoe to the stock 521 cabled throttle? Are Dcoe's electric choke? (couldn't tell from the redline site) Rate this on a beginner scale.

And a stupid question. I've never hauled an engine. How bad would this thing stink up the inside of a minivan? I'd be traveling with my wife and daughter, and wouldn't want to fume them out for a 6 hr drive!

Good points Hainz, thanks for being a voice of reason. We all get so excited when we stumble on a cool Datto find. My wife says I have blinders on sometimes.

I've asked the guy for a price on the head, carb, intake manifold, and radiator. (I have a leak) He prolly won't want to part it, but it'd make for a more pleasant car ride with the fam! And I am literally driving by his town.

Supply and demand!!!!!!!

There is not demand for them on the east coast cause all the Datsuns are gone already

Offer 400$ then leave.

Jeff (icehouse)over here cant give L16s away!!!!!!!!!!!!

i thik one 32/36 is better than one sidedraft myself(but I havent run one) I seen one and ewasnt all to impressed.

if the head has 210 on the side of it its just a stock L16 head and evn worth less ans not a true performance motor. Maybe if it has a A87/W53 or a true SSS head.

The dude will get rid of it for less. Maybe not now but later!!!!!!!!!!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.