Cleaning old greasy wire harnesses

Charlie69

I have 6 various harneses that I will be combining to make a wiring harness for my 520.

Any way they were all greasy and dirty so I took and stretched them out in the street in front of my house. I mixed a 1 to 1 simple green and water in a spray bottle and sprayed them down. I let it sit for a few minutes and then sprayed them off with a garden hose. Did this 4 times and now I have clean harnesses to work with. In Arizona I just sun dried them. I imagine in other climates you might want to dry them with compressed air.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have 6 various harneses that I will be combining to make a wiring harness for my 520.

Any way they were all greasy and dirty so I took and stretched them out in the street in front of my house. I mixed a 1 to 1 simple green and water in a spray bottle and sprayed them down. I let it sit for a few minutes and then sprayed them off with a garden hose. Did this 4 times and now I have clean harnesses to work with. In Arizona I just sun dried them. I imagine in other climates you might want to dry them with compressed air.

i have tried using simple green to clean shit like engine parts, doesnt seem to work as great as everyone has said. my dad always told me to use simple green also. Maybe i should buy the gallon jug and mix my own stuff instead of using the pre-mixed?

I use straight Simple Green concentrate in my parts washer.

Buy the gallon and mix yourself there is a recommended mix ratio list on the jug. I get mine at Costco or Sam's Club. This is biodegradable and will not cause hardening of the wire insulation. Rinse really well if you use it on something that you are going to paint.

Edited by Charlie69

I was using simple green on the 59 all day yesterday. Great stuff! I use the gallon. My wife has started stealing it for the house. She loves it too!

I will say though by the end of the day my hands felt pretty dry and needed lotion. Shoulda worn gloves!