The Dime Stands Alone

BoostinBen

Well Goes Standalone anyway :D

I started the install on my AEM standalone programable ECU last night.. thought id put up a thread on the progress from start to finish. Been doing lots to my car recently but not sharing much. :rolleyes:

My car had a stock s13 blacktop ecu .. not so stock motor so it was time to get the full potential of the bolt ons and upgrades on the motor by switching up to a programable ECU. I am also switching from the stock MAF setup to a MAP / Wideband.

A few pics of the progress so far..

Removed the cold side of the intercooler pipe and BOV to make room for the air intake temp sensor to be able to run on MAP.

P9130857.jpg

Here is the Intercooler Pipe I removed after welding on a bung and mounting the aem AIT sensor. Also welded on a pipe for the idle control air valve.

P9130860.jpg

Since the dato dosent use power brakes I used the inlet for it on the back of the greddy plenum to mount the aem map sensor

P9130861.jpg

Here is the UEGO wideband I got with the AEM EMS unit. its going in next..

P9140864.jpg

Noticed that none of my laptops I use have a serial port on it so Im jsut waiting to install a fresh copy of windows on an older dell I got to use for the initial map upload and tune.

While I was waiting for windows to install I swapped out my c's short shifter for this b&M:cool:

P9130862.jpg

Well thats about it so far...more to come!

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why did you choose the AEM over the other options out there?

Well I was orginally looking at haltech .. Basically I have one main reason to go with Aem. A good friend of mine here is real familiar with them. and my happens to be building a sema show car sponsered by them ...

Plus they have tons of features .. good support .. heared a lot of good things about them. I didnt want to go with a mines or empathy tune cause I wanted something I could tune on the fly .. not ship back and forth to some company everytime I upgrade something.

Are you going to tune it on the dyno? I can't wait to see what kinda numbers you put down :D

Oh its going to the dyno alright .. im going to baseline it with the ems and then .... well I got a couple other tricks up my sleeve. :P

With my old SR car I slapped on a redline ecu (found him on ebay, hes out of CA). Told him I was running 740cc injectors, 264/272 cams, Z32 maf, and an SC61 precision turbo. Plugged it in went to the dyno and slapped down 400whp at 20lbs with a spot on air/fuel ratio.

That said Ive had great luck with reprogrammed ECU's (especially on SR's, so much aftermarket support and knowledge in general), but I here you on having more tuning flexibility with the AEM. Does the AEM provide a better ignition system on the SR or is it just a means of controlling fuel/timing?

Cant beat the looks of not having a maf in front of the turbo!

-Colton

Updates please :D

Updates?? :blink: you mean I was supposed to finish this?!! well the only update I have is that I have been super lazy and havent finished .. I have mounted the AEM and hooked it up running the Stock MAF but that about where I left off... been real busy lately so the dime sits alone :lol:

but really im gonna get back on it this week and finish it up.. shouldnt take much .. just running some new wire and a lil tuning on the laptop.. ill get some updated pics up as soon as I can..

yo Clayton if your ever down here in SJ hit me up .. stop by and have a beer or somethin..

• 2 months later...

Ive been having some trouble getting the motor to run right with the AEM vs the stock ecu and I have traced it back to a bad wiring job on the harness that was done by the previous owner.. or the shop he paid to do it .. ... it had been restrung to use a 300zx igniter as well as extended in various places that didnt make much sence... so I started checkin out all the wiring on the car.. most of it was pretty ugly. an insult to the brand new painless wiring kit that was used ... and it was an insult to my car.. so i decided to rewire the whole thing .. everything ... I bought a brand new oem nissan wiring harness for the sr20 and pulled out the entire painless kit, layed it out and im starting from scratch. ditching every shity spade and bullet connector for weatherpack connectors. There must have been 4 rolls of electrical tape used on the wiring before as well.. im going with mil spec wiring loom none of that nasty corrigated plastic stuff. I just pulled apart the engine harness and restrung it to match the layout of the sr in the 510 bay as well as integrating the wiring for the aem sensors and my autometer guages and boost controler into it so once I loom it all up it should look as if it is all part of the factory harness... wiring is such a pain in the ass... but clean wiring jobs when they are done right make a big diffference in my opinion. pics of the carnage to come.

I dont have the AEM CDI I havent really looked into ging that route... Yeah wiring can be crazy but the nice thing about doing it all and doing it yourself is that it makes it that much easier to trace down electrical problems... I even went the extra step and picked up one of those Rhino label printers that prints on heat shrink tube.. I figure if Im going to take the time to do it.. im going to do it all the way.

This a Brand New OEM S13 harness after we completly unwrapped it and rerouted the wires to better fit the 510 engine bay and to be able to mount all the relays and ignitor on the inner firewall. Im just waiting for the loom I ordered to get here to be able to wrap it all back up.

PC080251.jpg

Gutted

PC080252.jpg

This is all crap that came out that aint going back in.

PC080254.jpg

http://www.aempower.com/ViewCategory.aspx?CategoryID=62

Without the numerous outputs of the AEM EMS running a dual fuel system with gasoline in the primary mode and E85 under boost wouldn't be possible. A friend who is the local AEM guru is working on an A/F ratio switch that either takes the ground away from the map sensor and puts the car into boost cut or enables the fuel cut rev limiter when a less than adequate A/F ratio is present. Let me know if your tuner is interested.

• 1 month later...

Thought Id post a little update .. I think Im gonna consolodate some posts into a project thread since im doing a lot more than just hooking up a standalone ecu.. but here is a little update for now.

Ive done the whole painless wiring harness for the chassis from front a rear. Wrapped everything in mil spec fire resistand loom.. think its much nicer than the corrigated plastic stuff

Here is the headlight wiring wrapped up.

P1100062.jpg

And the rear light harness

P1100073.jpg

I also added some yellow mercedes fogs when I wired up the front.

P1100078.jpg

I jacked them from my roomates busted ass mercedes .. haha. :D

P1100096.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I Decided to move the Dat over to Blu808 to weather the storms we are having here in norcal ...I got a lot more space to work on it there thats for sure... And I think its a bit more comfortable over there with its new friends..

Here it it tucked in between blu808's turbo ls1 240sx, their sema award winning formula D camero and under a dead sexy rb powered 260z.

P1170120.jpg

So now I really have no excuse to get this thing back together ... Ill post up some pics of the progress later..

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...