tech on struts

bucketoval

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
the person i was going to get the 280 struts from does not have them anymore . the shop told him them put them in the trash(aka ebay) because they sat there to long.:confused:so now i need info how to mod 280zx strut for my 510. i want to get this car low. thanks steve

You need ground control coilovers unless you want to weld the 510 spring perch back on the zx strut. I would personally go with a set of ground control front coil overs and T3 camber plates. Get 300 lbs springs anything else is kinda weak... To me anyways :D The t3's are cheap and don't require cutting the strut tower. I have a set, so far they have been great :D The ones that require cutting the strut tower do give you the added caster which is very very nice on a lowered car. most people don't like to cut up there car though.... The camber plates also give you a little more suspension travel, the stock rubber guy is way thick basically steeling your rid quality on a low car. O and on last thing... the Camber plates do add some road noise. PM Green bastard, he sells the T3 stuff he's a great guy to deal with to :D I may of missed something so talking to him would be a good idea in general :D

so how low do you want to go? 280 z struts are the way to go. a trip to the bone yard will net u a set for about 100.00 bones [at least around my local yards]. and takes about ten minutes to yank. i use them on my track cars, and we're pretty low, so they have to be cut down even further [usually about another 1 1/2 "] anyway, modifying them is easy, and if you need help with that mission, i'd be happy to help u. [free] all u gotta do is ship them 2 me.

btw, make sure u get 280 struts, don't get 240 struts, otherwise you'll end up w/too much positive camber..

they have to be cut down even further [usually about another 1 1/2 "]

What inserts do you run? I cut my s12 struts down 1.5 inches if I remember correctly. The only insert I could find at the auto parts store was a VW fox one.... I was thinking of going with the KYB gas adjust for the rear of a MR2 second gen. They are supposed to be shorter but I don't know how much.....

hey, ice. we're runnin adjustable kyb's, vw jetta.. i can get you the part# if u want it. after cutting my struts [actually i think it's 1 5/8"] the strut is even shorter than that!! but the difference is taken up by a spacer under the insert which puts me in the middle of the shock stroke at my ride height. that gives me about 3" travel in both directions. not bad considering my ground clearance is a little less than that !!!:lol:

hey, ice. we're runnin adjustable kyb's, vw jetta.. i can get you the part# if u want it. after cutting my struts [actually i think it's 1 5/8"] the strut is even shorter than that!! but the difference is taken up by a spacer under the insert which puts me in the middle of the shock stroke at my ride height. that gives me about 3" travel in both directions. not bad considering my ground clearance is a little less than that !!!:lol:

The part number would be awesome!! I'm working on my s12 v6 struts with the z32 calipers. I want them on my car before the end of the month :D Some good inserts would complete my strut setup for sure! :D

• 1 month later...
The part number would be awesome!! I'm working on my s12 v6 struts with the z32 calipers. I want them on my car before the end of the month :D Some good inserts would complete my strut setup for sure! :D

i have found a 87 200sx complete with v6 can you show some photos of the strut before and after. thanks steve

• 6 months later...
i have found a 87 200sx complete with v6 can you show some photos of the strut before and after. thanks steve

I still haven't actually bolted all the parts together, even though I finally got all the parts I need collected up. I just actually cleaned out my shed, which was nice because now I can get to all the parts I need to make the swap :D Maybe this week I can take some photo's of the parts bolted together :D

those top motoring shocks seams nice... the only drawback is the $$..

i would like to find out the place(s) where we can find the " extra" stuff we need in order to make QA1's fit into the dime...

i may order one shock and play with it...

I'll post some info if it performs ok..

maybe we can get another rear suspension option with less $$ and same performace...:)

S13 camber plates bolt into 510 strut towers, if you find a full coilover setup (steel lower adjusters) you can weld them to the zx struts and have a full setup on the low low... no pun intended. If you are using them on a sedan, you can also mod the rear to fit... but I haven't owned a sedan in a LOOOONG time so I can't comment on the results, but the front setup works great.

A few pics of my 280ZX set up on my 510 using the ground control coil overs.

DSC08888.JPG

Cut the stock perch off and had a small piece of metal welded for the coil-overs to rest on.

DSC08893.JPG

Used a zip tie to hold the little hat to the spring.

DSC08896.JPG

installed in the car.

I used the stock 510 top hat. Decided agianst camber plates.

• 1 month later...
A few pics of my 280ZX set up on my 510 using the ground control coil overs.

DSC08888.JPG

Cut the stock perch off and had a small piece of metal welded for the coil-overs to rest on.

DSC08893.JPG

Used a zip tie to hold the little hat to the spring.

DSC08896.JPG

installed in the car.

I used the stock 510 top hat. Decided agianst camber plates.

hey the grey bottem peice is that the stock 510 peice what year model 280zx do i want these out of cause the yards around here have a grip of them

hey the grey bottem peice is that the stock 510 peice what year model 280zx do i want these out of cause the yards around here have a grip of them

The whole tube and spindle is 280ZX the reason this swap works is because they are so similar.

Make sure it is a 280ZX, not a 280Z. The 280ZX was made from 1979-1983. Anyone between those years will work. Just for refrence lately i've checked a few local wrecking yards and they want about $100 for a pair of complete 280ZX struts (caliper, strut, rotor, etc). So if you are paying more than that might be worth looking around.