Need a 240sx trans and what killed my old one?

My bro's rear tranny seal was leaking. What could of cause it? I said... I took it off and this is what I found.

IMG_6595.jpg

IMG_6596.jpg

IMG_6597.jpg

So as you can see some shit fucken happened and this tranny is now useless... If some one has an extra one in Los Angels let me know.

SO what killed this KA tranny?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Isnt that just the shaft that goes into the tail section of the trans? Can you just replace the drive shaft? why do you need a new trans?

Also, I imagine there are a ass load of KA transmissions sitting around in the LA area, just have to know where to look...

Yes that is the shaft. I could replace it but how did a solid piece of metal get carved out from the inside of the transmission? I am thinking that inside the tranny its all F'd with metal particles. I also dont know how it looks inside, but just by looking at were it was rubbing. It will continue to leak.

Any 'chips' will settle to the tranny bottom. The drain bung has a magnet on it so check and clean it off. There is a rear mainshaft bearing that supports the rear of the main shaft, (what else?) If it's bad it might allow the rear output to wobble around and rub causing this wear. With the driveshaft out, push on the output spline... does it easily wobble around? Does it move enough to rub the tailstock case? Is the tailstock case worn from rubbing inside?

My 1990 240SX had a similar problem on the output shaft of its automatic transmission [don't know what you have]. Turned out to be a failed shaft seal that allowed lube to run out. Slight shaft imbalance plus steel shaft in aluminum case really progressed to a wobble and a new case. Look at the rear end of your transmission case before sinking money into replacement parts. You may need a new [or slightly used] case or a really good bore out and insert a steel sleeve to cure the real problem.

Yeah. Thanks.... I will just find another one... This one is stick but I think this has no cure. Plus the shaft is hard to find...

A 'really good" plating shop could nickle plate and burnish, then polish, the screwed up section to full original dimension. Nickle is a good hard surface and is inherently lubricic (spelling?) in other words self lubricating. If a shop would be willing to do this, it will probably come with a "no guarantee" caution.